Removing Steering Wheel Part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing Steering Wheel Part

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Removing Steering Wheel Part

So I bought a 91 YJ that came with a GT steering wheel. The blinker lever is broken and won't go down to engage my left blinker, so I decided to try to see what was wrong. Problem is I'm stuck. Do I use a puller to remove the grey part with the three bolt threads off? (Last picture) Thanks guys.

ign_cas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes you need a puller to remove that aluminum part in your last picture.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. So I just use the puller to remove it and nothing else? And to put it back on just tighten it with the nut?
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign_cas View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. So I just use the puller to remove it and nothing else? And to put it back on just tighten it with the nut?
Yes but before you put it back on center your steering wheel or mark it before you pull it off. Those grant adapters allow you to rotate it to center up your steering wheel with your tires. Also you will need a puller and install tool for the pressure plate below it. I personally just use a pick tool and some good ole fashion muscle to remove the snap ring then a flat head and muscle to reinstall it, and below that you will find your turn signal cam assembly. Good luck man it's an easy job. Just take your time.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good. Thanks man. I got another question while I'm at it. My horn doesn't work. But when I put a probe to that wire, my probe lights up and you hear the horn for a second. I realize behind the steering wheel there are to connectors but only one wire coming from the column. Is one supposed to be the ground?
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Generally you only need one wire. Horn circuits typically just complete the ground. Best thing to do there is search online for directions at the manufacturers website. That how I found out how to do my Grant set up that the PO did not complete
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the wire coming out of the column goes to the center terminal

the other terminal, you use a short wire to run to one of the 3 bolts holding the adapter on, it completes the ground circuit
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That grey part is the adapter for the aftermarket wheel. I suppose you may need a puller, mine just slides right off.

You could probably also use this for once you're in there........ http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.