Removing rusted oil pan bolts??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing rusted oil pan bolts???

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
ppandr

Removing rusted oil pan bolts???

One side was good to other side they were trashed. Socket just stripped them off. I was thinking of grinding them down slightly and welding on another bolt to the head (or whats left of it). Seems easier than grinding them down and tapping them. Any thoughts.......

ppandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would remove them right after you weld the nut on when it is hot. If you don't have some heat on them they will just snap off. I might try and heat the block some before trying to remove them.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You mean the heads rounded?

They are pretty small, like 1/4, so could be easy to snap. Heat would probably loosen them but since there is a cork gasket and oil inside it will be a risk of flame and smoke

I would use a mapp or acetylene torch, if you have it to concentrate the heat quickly right on the bolt. Maybe then try a set of tiny vise grips.

Never saw this before; usually the pan is leaking oil so this is the last place to see rust. Good luck
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
ppandr

179,000 mile and didn't leak a drop until the oil pan rusted through....
ppandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Sears and get a set of thoes sockets for rounded off bolt heads work great .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
rocklee
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i prefer taping
rocklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
i prefer taping
Prefer it over what? It is next to impossible to drill steel out of cast iron with a hand drill. The drill will always move off of the steel to the softer iron and make a bigger mess than what you already have. Just apply lots of heat to the area the bolt is in and it will come right out.
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
thiat302
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ive got this problem too- All but two bolts I was able to get out- of course the two I cant get out are right near the exhaust pipe- I applied heat but to no avail- I tried the sockets from Sears, and it seems like they are the size right between the two smaller ones- No go- I cant get vice grips on there either- So ive been slowly heating and tearing pieces of pan off from around the bolt but dont know if that will work-

How long is it safe to heat the bolts- my pan is rotted thru like crazy so theres no going back-

Think I could just cut the "free" part of the pan off with a dremel to give me more room to try and get vice grips on the two bolts that are left?

I swear it looks like the P/O must have welded these bolts on or something- thats how bad it looks- Ill take a pic later and post it if it would help-

Any ideas guys?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.