removing rear factory shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > removing rear factory shackles

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:48 PM   #1
JYRUS

removing rear factory shackles

how do you get the bolts out aroung the gas tank?

JYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:34 AM   #2
Skeeter

I had to cut mine with a sawzall. I don't have a torch and it's to close to the gas tank! I took the nut off then pushed the bolt through as much as i could. Then cut it in half and pushed the remanding part of the bolt through. Just remember! When you reinstall the new bolts, put the bolt pointing inward towards the gas tank. this way they will come off easy if you ever hace to take them off again. Hope that helps
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:22 AM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Once you have the nut off remove outside half of the bushing and you should be able to wiggle the bolt out at a angle.
Unread 02-25-2002, 05:50 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Or you can drop the gas tank down enough to pull the bolts off. Just make sure you have an empty tank.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:02 AM   #5
CoveredNMud

I ran into this problem about two weeks ago when I decided to put in a temporary shackle lift to give a little extra height to my Jeep until my lift kit arrives. What I thought would be a 30-40 minute project turned into a four hour headache.
I started out using a sawzall, but went through four blades before moving on.
After four hours of sawing, beating, and swearing I decided to grind the head of the bolt off.

Once the heads of the bolts were ground off the rest of the job took a measley 10 minutes...
CoveredNMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
YJNotDone

The bolts on my 95 were in with the nut on the gas tank side. They were installed that way from factory. Just a fluke or what? Everyone else seems to have the bolts installed the way you guys do. HMMM?
Unread 03-01-2002, 11:58 PM   #7
87 YJ Wrangler

reciprocating saw works, but will have to be patient.

1998 Grand Cherokee. Bone stock (wife's). Soon upgrading rotors. pads, and shocks.
87 YJ Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
Charlie L

I did this last week. I was able to get mine out by first removing the metal bushing, then was able to work the bolt out. The drivers side was a little more difficult than the other, but I didn't have to do any cutting. Good luck.
Charlie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:00 PM   #9
95yj-4 cyl

The easiest, and quickest way to remove them is to: 1) remove the nut completely 2) remove the outer rubber bushing (takes a min or so to pry it off with a large flathead screwdriver) 3)with the outer bushing removed, use that same scredriver to push out the inner bushing (from the outer side).
Once both bushings are removed, the bolt will easily just fall out. The whole process takes a couple minutes and will save some knuckles. Of course, when installing the new kit, just put the bolt in from the outer side (will make it a snap if you ever need to do them again).
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:30 PM   #10
JYRUS

thats what i did and they fell right out
JYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.