Removing grill inserts help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing grill inserts help!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 03-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Removing grill inserts help!

How in the world do I get these off with out removing radiator or grill? They don't seem to be snapped in.

Must-Be-A-Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure either, but glad your taking em off

Some I've seen were just clipped on. I'd probably just break them out or cut them out.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If there not snapped on its probably some kinda adhesive either glue or tape
Unread 03-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jezz who likes these hideous things?!
Unread 03-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

push from the inside out... they clip in... maybe someone glued them too? but they should snap in... if you dont care about them, then it should be easier...
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 03:27 AM   #6
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last ones I saw were glued in with construction adhesive. Nasty mess. Check for clips on the back side. If none, start prying. Gently at first...
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! That's the ugliest thing I've seen on a Jeep other than my first wife, yikes.
Unread 03-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine are the aluminum ones and they are just press fit in through the backside of the grill. Those look different though they still look like you should be able to push them out from the back of the grill towards the front.
6-add9.jpg

Unread 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
Mine are the aluminum ones and they are just press fit in through the backside of the grill. Those look different though they still look like you should be able to push them out from the back of the grill towards the front.

i like that screen... seems to protect the radiator a bit as well as cover up the ugly radiator.

I don't like the inserts in the OP picture.. but I don't like the visible radiator..either
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Much better. I see what the previous owner was trying to hide though. I think some black wire mesh would look better.

Unread 03-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If your a/c is still functional, just hit it with black or silver paint. Black will look good with the red grille. Silver will look better if you keep the black grille. Or, if your a/c is not working, just remove that condenser.
Unread 03-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

AC works. Had it completely rebuilt. (Dunno why, won't use it lol). So the paint won't mess it up?
Unread 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

No. A thin coat of black will actually help heat transfer
Unread 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

These are exactly like the ones I have in my YJ but mine are designed for the YJ grill. They work extremely well and look great.
http://ok4wd.com/drake-off-road-blac...ep-wrangler-jk#

The only thing that has ever dislodged them was a sizable hunk of ice that flew off of an SUV (who's owner was too much of a ******' to clean his vehicle off properly) and smacked my hood and grill at 55mph. I didn't even know for a couple days that I had lost 3 of them until I pulled into my brother's driveway and he handed me one that had fallen off in his driveway. I walked a 3 mile stretch of highway until I found the other two. One had been run over and flattened but it easily bent back to it's original arched shape. Both were all scratched up but a quick shot of rustoleum fixed that quick, fast and in a hurry. Not one fin had been bent on the radiator so I'm going to say they do their job well.

Edit: Mine aren't even installed completely for that matter. You're supposed to press them into the slots of the grill and then bend the inner corners of the grill slots behind the inserts to retain them. They're such a tight fit that I never bothered with bending the sheet metal of the grill in behind them.
Unread 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
Luuca
Typical /F12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
These are exactly like the ones I have in my YJ but mine are designed for the YJ grill. They work extremely well and look great.
What, exactly do the "DO"? Looks are subjective.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.