Removing Fenders (plastic clips) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing Fenders (plastic clips)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
91wrangleryj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Removing Fenders (plastic clips)

Well I am continuing the tear down on my 91 yj. I am working with the tub removal FAQ at Tub Removal - JeepForum.com.

I got the grill removed ok.

However, when I tried to remove the driver side fender I ran into a snag.

I took out the 4 bolts attached to the tub and the 2 on the support brackets (yay for pb blaster! ). This left the fender ready to come off but it is held by 2 plastic tabs. I didn't want to break them off so I'll ask here how to remove them.

One's on the trim. Here is the outside look.

And here is the inside look (ugh so blurry!)

The other one is at the bottom of the fender near the support braces and is attaching some softer material. Sorry I don't know the proper term for the flimsy material it is holding up.

Any advice is appreciated.

91wrangleryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can pull those thru, the "fins" on the plastic will collapse when you pull on them, they come out fairly easily and most of the time can be reused. They do sell replacement ones at most parts stores, like in the "HELP" rack.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
91wrangleryj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
You can pull those thru, the "fins" on the plastic will collapse when you pull on them, they come out fairly easily and most of the time can be reused. They do sell replacement ones at most parts stores, like in the "HELP" rack.
Ok, thanks. Should I push on the 'inside post' to let the fins collapse or pull from the outside? I want to reuse them if possible.
91wrangleryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

User preference. I put the jaws of a pair of dikes behind the flat head, and squished the fins flat with a pair of bent needle nosed, and pushed/pulled til they came thru. You can re-mold the fins if they get mangled a bit by bending them back into position.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.