Removing Exterior Door Handles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing Exterior Door Handles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Removing Exterior Door Handles

I'm trying to remove the exterior door handles on my '89 YJ full steel doors to paint them, and I can't seem to get those metal shims out....What am I doing wrong?....I can get them to move toward the top of the door, but they hit a part of the door and won't come all the way out....Anyone have this experience?

My next option is to leave them in and paint them, but I really want to get them out for a better job.

Unread 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Anyone, Anyone....Bueller?....Anyone?
Unread 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
hockeynut9717
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Remove the window scrubbers,inside and out. I managed to pull one out that way. I also used a piece of stiff wire to hook the retaining spring from the access hole under the door panel. Hook the clips and pop them off the teeth of the wedge. Than push ouy from underneath. You can reallign them when You reinstall. I replaced one last week. Its a pain in the butt.
Hope this helps
hockeynut9717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut9717 View Post
Remove the window scrubbers,inside and out. I managed to pull one out that way. I also used a piece of stiff wire to hook the retaining spring from the access hole under the door panel. Hook the clips and pop them off the teeth of the wedge. Than push ouy from underneath. You can reallign them when You reinstall. I replaced one last week. Its a pain in the butt.
Hope this helps
I tried EXACTLY as you described....It's ridiculous how difficult these things are to get out

I was hoping I was doing something wrong.
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Loooong nose pliers.

Like the ones made by Klein Tools.

And A LOT of swearing...

Oh, waaaaaay easier to get the shims out....
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
vmann7
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Loooong nose pliers.

Like the ones made by Klein Tools.

And A LOT of swearing...

Oh, waaaaaay easier to get the shims out....
And a long flat head screwdriver to wedge/pound on when you get the right angles. They're a real PITA but with a little patience you'll get it.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
myyeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

anyone ever try to do door poppers on their jeep? speaking of removing exterior handles
myyeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next time your at your auto parts store get a Haynes manual, too.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Next time your at your auto parts store get a Haynes manual, too.
Haynes manual does no good for these little tips....Experience does the trick.
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this somewhat goes along with this thread so here goes . . . my pass side window regulator? is frozen, wont budge as well as my exterior door handle is falling out, broken. I have a spare set of full doors sitting in my garage, i bring in a red pass side (screwed) and a black pass side (donor). so i need to get the window mechanisms as well as outer door handle off of the black door and onto the red door. This my friends is truly a PAIN IN THE ***. I started this 2 weeks ago. . . what do I have? 2 doors, 2 door panels, 2 inside handles, random screws, drops of blood in my living room and a Jeep with no doors in the garage. Can someone please direct me to a write up!? I have tried searching and this was about as close as I could get. And yes, I have a Haynes, not really helpful in this situation. ANY HELP APPRECIATED
TWISTED125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bump .. . . anyone got anything??
Unread 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you start by removing the inside panels? To do what you want, you'll have to remove the vapor seal too.

These doors aren't hard to fix/rebuild but they are tricky. You need to open up the inside panel and it will all be there. The window regulator is just a simple gear. Frozen? I'll suggest that either some component is bent or the gear is jammed. Maybe both.

I haven't worked on my doors in a long time. I disasembled them for painting though and while it was difficult to do (no room inside door) it wasn't splitting an atom hard to figure out what went where and how it worked.

A Factory Service Manual is your friend. Even a diagram from a parts catalog would help you too. I don't have either to offer.
Unread 01-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok, yea I took the inner panel off, I guess its just a lack of space that makes getting to this stuff so hard. In my Haynes it says to lower the window all the way down, but my window wont budge, maybe this is making it more difficult. thanks for the input
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Leroux
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used a small nose punch and a hammer to get the metal clips out of mine.
'93 YJ 4.0 i6, 8.8ls, D30 w/Aussie & Alloy USA shafts/disco removed, 4.56's, 3.5" Fabtech (gathering parts for SOA), 5/8 MORE Boomerangs, SYE, Coast Driveshaft, m8000, "Accordion style" Header w/full exhaust, 33" Siped BFG MT's, TJ Flares.
Leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
SexySE

I'm having the same problem with mine. My driver's side handle is stuck in the pulled out position and won't return flush. Can't open the door from the outside. I bought new exterior handles and have no idea of how to get the old ones out.
SexySE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.