Removing Differential cover??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing Differential cover???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Removing Differential cover???

Any tips on how to get these babies off???mine aren't budging...tried everything...whats the secret???except getting a jeep with less RUST!!!

THX

theboxman71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

After you remove the bolts you have to pry the cover off. There's no real trick to it, just go nice and easy with a flat blade screwdriver. Try not to mar up the surfaces if you can help it, but silicone usually seals them up no problem.
Unread 01-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
bobbert350

try hitting the cover with a minisledge with a block of wood inbetween..i tried to hit it so the cover would slide to one side
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thin flathead screwdriver.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

rubber mallet!

whack the ***** out of it side to side
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

I use an old putty knife to get the split started, then I shove a flat head screwdriver in there and pry it apart. Rubber mallet works too.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
rubber mallet!

X2 Works every time
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
jeep couple
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i used a putty knife to open mine up a little. I then let all the fluid drain out into a pan. I then used a rubber mallet hitting from side to side. It worked like a charm.
jeep couple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it's the bolts that you can't get out try a handheld 3/8 impact driver. You put the proper 3/8 drive socket on it and hold it in one hand applying pressure in the direction you're going and whack it with a hammer. It pounds the socket on tighter and loosens in 1 movement, It is pretty impossible to strip or break off a bolt with it but they work for getting tough bolts and screws out.http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc4608.html
Like this. I don't have this one but they work the same.
Unread 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
84 400
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x3 on the rubber mallett
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman
If it's the bolts that you can't get out try a handheld 3/8 impact driver. You put the proper 3/8 drive socket on it and hold it in one hand applying pressure in the direction you're going and whack it with a hammer. It pounds the socket on tighter and loosens in 1 movement, It is pretty impossible to strip or break off a bolt with it but they work for getting tough bolts and screws out.http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc4608.html
Like this. I don't have this one but they work the same.

i got all bolts out no prob, seems to be rusted a little, gonna whack the s#$t out of it...

thx guys
Unread 01-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
bobbert350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
rubber mallet!

ahh next time il use that instead of a mini sledge...didnt even think of that i always use a wood block and the 3lb mini sledge..only reason is cauz they are close next time il try a rubber mallet
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
MY90YJ

good tools to own for jeep repair:

Impact Driver

Dead Blow Mallet, think rubber hammer but with more hitting strength
MY90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got them off with screwdriver and rubber mallet, THX guys!!!
picture-001_resize.jpg   picture-004_resize.jpg   picture-009_resize.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

for a second, I thauight those last pics were the inside of the voer and that you have lined it with RTV. I was thinking that you were crazy and or stupid. but then I realized it was the outside of the cover.
'91 YJ. 4.0 TF999, D300 w/ 4:1, twin sticks. Chevy D44 front, 4.10's, spooled, Yukon 4340 shafts w/ super joints. Warn premium lock outs, High steer, ram assist. Dodge D60HD rear, 4.10's, welded, disc brakes. SOA front w/ RE 1.5" SOA leaf packs. Custom 4 link rear w/16" fox air shocks, stretched to 110". 38x12.5x15 TSLs on crager Nomads w/ DIY beadlocks. Tolly Fab Tube fenders, rocker gaurds, cage. 15gal stainless steel fuel tank.
Tulsachokehold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.