removing cat and replacing it with new one - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > removing cat and replacing it with new one

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

No sir, your vehicle is exempt being older than a 1996.

bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
True, but why would anyone check If your vehicle isn't subject to emission testing?

Anything in my state past 1996 is not subject to emissions.
Because the state law about emissions has nothing to do with it - the Federal over rides them. If the states failed to comply then they lose their highway money. So if the federal law says it had a cat when it was built, then it has to be on there. NY used to do the same thing - it had to be there even if it wan't working, so a lot of guys used to take the guts out of the cat and then put the cat housing back on. In this case, what the state does is called "visual inspection" - they just look and see if its on there, but they don't actually test the emissions. But like I said, the cat is a Federal requirement on vehicles that originally had them. After that, the states could add whatever emissions on top of that, that they felt ws needed.

Nowdays my state (NY) does emissions like California, God only knows why. I think they did it to raise more money. That's in addition to the visual inspection and the mechanical.

I'm actually glad they do the mechanical inspection because I've seen the crap on the road in other states and frankly it scares me to drive there.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
True, but why would anyone check If your vehicle isn't subject to emission testing?

Anything in my state past 1996 is not subject to emissions.
I know in Missouri that they check emissions equipment as a part of the every 2 year safety check, even though all pre-OBD vehichles are exempt from the emissions check. They aren't consistent, but no cat or a plate where your EGR valve should be is a guaranteed fail.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
I know in Missouri that they check emissions equipment as a part of the every 2 year safety check, even though all pre-OBD vehichles are exempt from the emissions check. They aren't consistent, but no cat or a plate where your EGR valve should be is a guaranteed fail.
Yeah that's pretty much true in most states - the cat and EGR have to be there even if they're not working or else its guaranteed fail.

By the way, The only way that I know to get exempted from everything, is to get registered as an "antique" or a "classic".
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

whats considered a classic 25 years and older?
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Yeah that's pretty much true in most states - the cat and EGR have to be there even if they're not working or else its guaranteed fail.

By the way, The only way that I know to get exempted from everything, is to get registered as an "antique" or a "classic".

my jeep is registered and insured as an antique in CT(20 years) and i still have to go through emissions until its 25+ years old
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ehh around here no one really cares or checks and if it really mattered they would get rid of all the oil burners but im not worried about it right now
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
my jeep is registered and insured as an antique in CT(20 years) and i still have to go through emissions until its 25+ years old
Yeah. In NY its 25 yrs, but then they exempt you from everything. I believe the insurance goes way down too. So I gotta wait another 5 yrs.
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #24
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my rig will be 25 next year... so it'll just be a safety inspection.

but my cat's innards are rattling around and i'm trying to figure out how to get 'em out
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartwell59 View Post
my rig will be 25 next year... so it'll just be a safety inspection.

but my cat's innards are rattling around and i'm trying to figure out how to get 'em out
Blowtorch and a heavy bar of scrap iron. Melt the core and beat it out one end.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.