Removed horn pad and the 3 screws underneath the horn pad - help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removed horn pad and the 3 screws underneath the horn pad - help

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Removed horn pad and the 3 screws underneath the horn pad - help

I removed the horn pad and the 3 screws holding on the green plastic circle and 2 metal discs... I put them back together the same way and the horn goes off constantly. There is only a little push button underneath everything for the horn, and when I screw everything down it pushes the button down and there is no gap to push down to sound the horn. Is there a spring I am missing? I didn't see anything fly out. Anyone who can take a pic of their stock steering wheel with the horn pad removed would be great... or better yet, step by step instructions on re-assembling the part below the horn pad.

From bottom to top I have:

1. Flat metal disc
2. Round cup-like metal disc
3. Green plastic circle, and then three phillips screws holding all 3 in.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You may have the metal piece upside down. I did that when I had mine off. The rounded part of the metal ring should come towards you, not towards the steering column. Check to see if that works. I think I am describing it correct....
Unread 05-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one of those GT steering wheels and there is a spring that is simply taped to the button. Pushing the button connects the circuit to sound the horn. (Well, at least it use to do that for me....)
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
tdaft
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The flat metal disc is the "spring". It sounds like you have it upside down, tear down and flip it over. Did the same thing when I replaced my turn signal switch.
tdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdaft
The flat metal disc is the "spring". It sounds like you have it upside down, tear down and flip it over. Did the same thing when I replaced my turn signal switch.
Thanks much, I thought I tryed every combination I could think of except that

Works great now. Now I am all set to surprise my dad with a new black leather wrapped steering wheel and black horn pad (along with a whole new black interior).

Thanks again guys

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.