Removed distributor and now - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removed distributor and now

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
94Wrangler4.0

Removed distributor and now

I was out playing in the mud and the muck and sucked a little water into my engine but it kept going thankfully. Then the engine started spitting oil out from around the distributor and my oil pressure was 0. I had loosened the distributor the other day in an attempt to adjust my timing back to the stock setting(9-11) because it was at about 14-15 and gave me a little trouble starting. Well I pulled the distributor out to see if maybe there was an oring or gasket that had gone bad but found that there wasn't any type of gasket there. Is there supposed to be one there? I put the distributor in after cleaning both seating surfaces good and started the jeep. It was hard to start and when I checked the timing with my timing light the timing mark wasn't even in sight. I'm pretty sure that I put the distributor in a tooth or two off. How can I adjust the timing back to stock? I know that I have to pull the distributor out again but I still want to fix the timing thing too. Also when I changed the oil and filter(oil looked like chocolate milk) and started it back up the oil pressure jumped up to 50 then came down to about 35-40 when it warmed up. It was running about 40 when started and then about 10 when warm and idling. I ran my finger around the inside of the housing that the oil filter attached to and found some metal debris the size of sugar granules. If anyone has an idea or input let me know. Thanks in advance.

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
TIM92300

Well i can tell you how to time it. You get the number one (front) piston to top dead center (TDC) (pull the plug and crank it over with a ratchet until it pushes air out) then make sure the groove in the harmonic balancer pulley is set at zero. Note: Do not set it up by just the groove in the pulley, as it could be either top on the compression or exhaust stroke. Make a mark on the distributer base where the #1 plug wire is. Put the distributor back in so that the rotor is facing the number one plug wire. Youll have to play with it a little to get it right at #1 as the gear meshes. If you have a Haynes or FSM manual you may want to do a little reading so you are sure. Im not sure on the seal for the distributor. But change your oil repetitively until it is no longer chocolate milk to get all the water out.
Dana 44 Front, 9" Rear 4:88s & ARB Air locker
TIM92300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
ChrisLe@MindSpr
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did you remove and plug the vacuum advance line from the distributor before trying to set the timing? If you didn't that would explain why the timing mark wasn't in sight....Its a common mistake that I'm guilty of on ocassion...
ChrisLe@MindSpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
94Wrangler4.0

There wasn't a hose attached to the distributor. The only thing attached to it was the electrical plug. My wrangler is one of the export models. I don't know if this makes any difference or not.
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do not think you can set the timing on a 94. The computer does it all. I would take the distributer out and follow Tim92300 advice. The computer should do the rest. There is a gasket for the distributer it is on top where the dstributer mates to the block.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.