Remove heater core? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Remove heater core?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Remove heater core?

I was curious if there is any good info on how to remove the heater core from my YJ. I don't use it and it currently doesn't work. I'd like to have the extra room under my dash.

Is there an issue with removing it since it seems I would have a huge open hole under my dash from the hood vent.

I live in FL I don't need heat...I need AC but that is a whole other issue

Unread 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You would have a hole above where the air comes in, a hole on the passenger side where the blower motor is, and a few holes where the studs go through the fire wall. Biggest problem would seem to be what to do with the air coming from the cowl vent.
You can do a search on removal, it's pretty easy but takes some wiggling to pull the whole housing out. If I remember it's just 4 nuts to remove on the firewall, three cables going to housing flaps, and the intake and outgoing water hoses, while I was fixing mine I just turned the water line going into the firewall and connected it where the water coming out of the heater core connects back to the rad.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
while I was fixing mine I just turned the water line going into the firewall and connected it where the water coming out of the heater core connects back to the rad.
Yup. Putting a fitting between the two hoses will create a loop and bypass the heater core. As for removal, I had to pull my duct work to change the heater core. What a PITA. 4 studs through the firewall for the blower motor, two hoses for the heater core plus a couple other fasteners for the duct work. One of the fasteners is on the driver's side of the valve cover. There are several good writeups on how to change the heater core. You can follow them and just not reverse the process. For the fresh air duct, it's up so high that it likely won't be in the way of anything after you pull the duct and you can probably just leave it behind.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
I was curious if there is any good info on how to remove the heater core from my YJ. I don't use it and it currently doesn't work. I'd like to have the extra room under my dash.

Is there an issue with removing it since it seems I would have a huge open hole under my dash from the hood vent.

I live in FL I don't need heat...I need AC but that is a whole other issue
I rebuilt my heater box, new core etc. I used this thread from the CJ forums as a guide. It's chock full of great information. Also search heater core in the YJ forums for more threads.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

I am dreading this as my blower is bad but required for the PA safety inspection (must have a working defroster). Thanks for the info.
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phottomatt View Post
I am dreading this as my blower is bad but required for the PA safety inspection (must have a working defroster). Thanks for the info.
You know what, it's not that bad really. A few bolts and some wrestling with it and you'll be OK. That thread I linked helped me a lot.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's sort of a PITA but only because it takes patience and a lot of wiggling. I have A/C and all the write-ups said I had to discharge it, I didn't, just unbolted it, moved it to the left, and pulled the heater housing. Getting it out was harder than getting it back in, only because it was hard to tell where and what it was hanging up on.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-core-219329/

I just did mine on Tuesday. I posted a pic on page 4 of where the bolts were on my 89, they were in different spots than the OP's pics.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah after I saw what all needs to come off from the cj link I went out and looked it over good with a much better understanding of what needs to be done and it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought, thanks to the wisdom and Generosity's of the people from this forum. Chilton manual doesn't even have the right procedure.
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Important note... blaster and a light hand are needed when removing the nuts on the other side of the firewall. Just busted 3 of 4 off today when stripping my old tub (with a 1/4 drive ratchet)... the 4th was already off when I got to it or it might have sufferred the same fate... on the bright side the broken studs aren't too hard to rip out and replace with tacked bolts and washers.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Important note... blaster and a light hand are needed when removing the nuts on the other side of the firewall. Just busted 3 of 4 off today when stripping my old tub (with a 1/4 drive ratchet)... the 4th was already off when I got to it or it might have sufferred the same fate... on the bright side the broken studs aren't too hard to rip out and replace with tacked bolts and washers.
Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.