Relay's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Relay's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Relay's

While hooking up my KC lights, the relay I grabbed didnt have the double 87 pins. It has 87 and 87A??? I am wanting to run both lights off one relay with double 87 pins. Could someone please tell me what relay I am looking for pleaaaassssseeeee?

Thanks

"Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence" Live and love as if its your last day!!

Life is no fun unless, you take the path with the most resistance. -ME-
H_Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Contacts 87 and 87a should be the same as 87 and 87 (one would be alternate). If you are unsure, use the attached diagram to ohm out your relay for comparison... http://www.kchilites.com/store/faq/i...layDiagram.pdf
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
dobslob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

87A is connected to 30 when the coil is NOT activated, when the coil is activated 87 becomes connected to 30

Just hook both lights to 87 and 12 volt source to 30.
dobslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link. I thought for sure that would work as well, but for some reason with it hooked up like the picture it switchs power some how. I have the 12v switch power to the relay coming from a toggle, and with the toggle "ON", one light comes on, and "OFF" the other light comes on??

I am lost on that..

"Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence" Live and love as if its your last day!!

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
87A is connected to 30 when the coil is NOT activated, when the coil is activated 87 becomes connected to 30

I know that way, but I am trying to avoid splicing since I want full power to the lights. I would "prefer" the relay control the two lights from two separate pins. OCD is a motherf*$)er.

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobslob View Post

So then 87 is NO and 87a is NC? Should be easy to determine based upon the previous link from KC and a meter. I guess it depends upon the relay that is being used, a DPDT (double pole double throw) from KC or another supplied that is SPDT (single pole double throw).
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well..... the lights are not exactly KC. They are 6" Pilots painted with KC rock covers. Everything is exactly the same as the KC lights, just a horrible installation kit.

I am unsure which light was attached to what pin when the switch was off and on, I guess I should have payed closer attention to that.

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Swank View Post
Well..... the lights are not exactly KC. They are 6" Pilots painted with KC rock covers. Everything is exactly the same as the KC lights, just a horrible installation kit.

I am unsure which light was attached to what pin when the switch was off and on, I guess I should have payed closer attention to that.
Ahhh, then we don't know for sure what you have for a relay. Use a meter and check continuity between contacts 30 and 87 and of 87a. This info along with the KC wiring diagram should help determine what you need to do.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! So theoretically 87A and 87 should ohm at 0 with the power to it?

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet! So theoretically 87A and 87 should ohm at 0 with the power to it?
If 87 and 87a are the same then they will both ohm out as 0(zero/short) to pin 30. With no power to the coil, the supply contact (30) should be open to 87. If it is, but then reads continuity to 87a at the same time, then then this relay is set up such that 87 is the output contact for "ON" and 87a is the "OFF" contact which you do not need, If both 87 and 87a ohm out to 30 when on, the both are outputs and will supply power to each light individually.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got it. By way your saying, I already think my 5 pin relay is wrong, but I will get the Fluke out tomorrow and check. Thanks for the technical info.

Unread 02-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

87a is NC and 87 in NO

87a is hot until power is applied to 85, then the power switches over to 87, this is why when you had it hook up to your lights and toggled your switch it would go from one light to the other light, with one light being on at all times. If you look at Mr B.'s diagram he uses 87a to feed the next replay. When power is applies to 85 on the first relay power is killed going to the second relay.
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know that way, but I am trying to avoid splicing since I want full power to the lights. I would "prefer" the relay control the two lights from two separate pins. OCD is a motherf*$)er.
Two separate pins will not increase the power to your individual lights unless you are using an improperly rated electrical component in the installation. Two power wires of appropriate gauge crimped into one pigtail connector will produce the exact same power output. Be OCD in your splice and component quality and your lights will be exactly what you intended for them. Here is my writeup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...mmable-975352/

Good luck with your install

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
dobslob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A standard Bosch relay is rated to allow 30 amps of current through it. This should be plenty for a pair of lights. If you OCD wants you to use separate pins, either use two relays or look for a relay that has dual contacts. Of course then you will have two runs of power as an input... There may be some relays available that have dual outputs that are tied together internally, but if so, they will not be labeled with 30, 87, and 87a.
dobslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
While hooking up my KC lights, the relay I grabbed didnt have the double 87 pins. It has 87 and 87A??? I am wanting to run both lights off one relay with double 87 pins. Could someone please tell me what relay I am looking for pleaaaassssseeeee?

Thanks
With both sets of KC's I have owned, the 87 and 87A pins worked just like you want. Both lights lit up when plugged into each pin.

NEVER MIND, DISREGARD WHAT I SAID AFTER READING THIS:
Quote:

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.