relay bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > relay bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 12-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

relay bad?

I have fog lights wired with a relay and while doing some electrical work on other things (@#$%#$ electric choke) under the hood I happened to goof around with the relay a moment and noticed that even with the switch off the relay puts out about 4v to the fog lights. When switched on it puts out roughly 12.5v as would be expected and the fog lights work normally. Is this normal or is my jeep hypochondria kicking in again? I did not get a chance to check the relay thoroughly with an ohm meter as i ran out of time, but can do so tomorrow if it helps. Also of note, I was checking between pole 87 and ground.

Thanks for the help, folks.

tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

tslroper,
Remove the relay and use a Ohm meter between the 30 and 87 terminal, you should see 0 Ohm's. If you find any Ohm reading this would indicate a bad relay.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.