Rekey hard doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rekey hard doors

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
1969cj5
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rekey hard doors

Anyone have any ideas / experience with new lock and keys for hard doors and a tailgate. The doors I have had the driver side drilled, and I dont have the keys anyway. No key for the tailgate either. Ideas appreciated
Chris

1969cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy new key & lock cylinders from Krage and Trailquest.
Just remove the old lock cylinders and put the new ones in.
Of course you'l have to have an extra key or two on your key ring.

I had to do this for a pair of used hard doors I bought for my YJ.
The PO didn't have the keys...
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
1969cj5
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks

Well I am sort of embarressed, I went the easy way and posted, then searched and found what I needed. Jeep Doc has them for 24 per set plus shipping.
Thanks!
1969cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

swap in TJ lock cylinders and ignition cylinder so you can have a non directional key
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
swap in TJ lock cylinders and ignition cylinder so you can have a non directional key
Hey Big, is there anything special needed to do this???? I only have one set of keys and they're so worn that if I had new ones cut they would probably never work. I've thought of doing this before but didn't know if they would fit ok.

Thanks,
Tim
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i haven't personally done it but last time i was at my local shop i was helping finish up some small stuff on a YJ they built for a customer and while i was doing something up front i noticed one of the guys installing a new ignition cylinder and he had a TJ key in it. he made it sound like it swapped right in. Later in the day I saw him installing new cylinders in the doors and tailgate and they all took the same key. it appeared to me as though it was a direct swap, but i can't be 100% sure..... i can be 100% sure it's possible and it looked easy though
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
pmeguy
1999 WJ 

My 91 YJ has non directional keys... so did my 92.

On my last Jeep, I had replacement half doors so the locks did not match the ignition and I didn't have the door key anyway. I talked to a locksmith in town and he told me he could re-key the doors to match the ignition but I never did it. S I guess you could order a set of three locks from Quadratec or whereever and have them keyed to match your ignition.
pmeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is a video i made on keying all locks the same.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uv3GOfrWG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or

http://youtu.be/-uv3GOfrWG4

i'm not good on forums, so we'll see if the video embedded itself

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.