REGEAR Question on Ford 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > REGEAR Question on Ford 8.8

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
daddoty

REGEAR Question on Ford 8.8

Well I found a Ford 8.8 rearend and it has 3:73 limited slip. Can I have 4:88 gears put in and still use the linited slip? With the off set compared to the dana 35 do i need a cv shaft?

daddoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Leroux
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you can install 4.88 and still have LS. I dont think you "need" a SYE, but it would defiantly be a good thing.
'93 YJ 4.0 i6, 8.8ls, D30 w/Aussie & Alloy USA shafts/disco removed, 4.56's, 3.5" Fabtech (gathering parts for SOA), 5/8 MORE Boomerangs, SYE, Coast Driveshaft, m8000, "Accordion style" Header w/full exhaust, 33" Siped BFG MT's, TJ Flares.
Leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
daddoty

thanks for your response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroux
Yes, you can install 4.88 and still have LS. I dont think you "need" a SYE, but it would defiantly be a good thing.

I followed your advise and got this 8.8 and it should be well worth it. I checked around and it would only be a matter of time before the old dana failed.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Leroux
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good job! You'll be happy with it. How much did you end up paying for it?
'93 YJ 4.0 i6, 8.8ls, D30 w/Aussie & Alloy USA shafts/disco removed, 4.56's, 3.5" Fabtech (gathering parts for SOA), 5/8 MORE Boomerangs, SYE, Coast Driveshaft, m8000, "Accordion style" Header w/full exhaust, 33" Siped BFG MT's, TJ Flares.
Leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
daddoty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroux
Good job! You'll be happy with it. How much did you end up paying for it?
490.00 it has disc brakes but no rotors. I also ordered the bracket kit to make things easier.
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddoty
490.00 it has disc brakes but no rotors. I also ordered the bracket kit to make things easier.
That's too bad. There's TONS of them available on this website in FL for $300 or less.

http://www.car-part.com/
Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
pushead

OMG that was high. I spent $270 with taxes and it came with disc and calipers.
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

wonder how many people are gonna chime in that you paid too much for the 8.8...
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
wonder how many people are gonna chime in that you paid too much for the 8.8...
I did so in an effort to warn others and hopefully save others some $ in the future, and showed them just one easy way to do so.
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
DaemonJeep

paid $350 for mine brand new, never been installed in anything, it was surplus stuff, 4.10 gearing open carrier. Pads rotors and calipers but no brake lines.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
jipjip

who cares how much was paid......they are gonna differ in price depending on a lot of things, as long as you didn't pay over $500 you got a pretty good deal. it also depends where you are in the country. popular demand areas charge more for the rears.
congrats on the new rear-end, but i don't think you can use the carrier that came w/ it for 4.88's. their are 2 splits in carrier styles between gears that if you re-gear to that ratio, you may need to replace the carrier also. that will also mean loosing the lsd. i wouldn't worry about it though, cause while your re-gearing, you might as well install a locker at the same time, it's much better off road, and won't bother your on road comfort too much.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Stangman516

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonJeep
paid $350 for mine brand new, never been installed in anything, it was surplus stuff, 4.10 gearing open carrier. Pads rotors and calipers but no brake lines.
Where'd you find that?
l---L--?lllllll?-

()_) ()_)----)_)
White Jeep club member #40
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
DaemonJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman516
Where'd you find that?

A local race shop had two, they were surplus when Ford changed Exploder to IRS.

I agree doesn't matter what you paid, as long as you got what you needed, crazy how prices vary through out the U.S. And I'd find some good info on doing gear changes and do it yourself if possible, save ya a bunch of money, and you'll know how to do it for extra side cash to pay for them new gears and such.
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
<snip> congrats on the new rear-end, but i don't think you can use the carrier that came w/ it for 4.88's. their are 2 splits in carrier styles between gears that if you re-gear to that ratio, you may need to replace the carrier also. that will also mean loosing the lsd. i wouldn't worry about it though, cause while your re-gearing, you might as well install a locker at the same time, it's much better off road, and won't bother your on road comfort too much.

Hmm, the 8.8 doesn't have a carrier break - not sure where you got that tidbit of misinformation, or what caused you to *think* it did.
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly like Joe Dillard said...

There is no carrier break with the 8.8.

Just be aware that with 4.88 gears, you'll need to shave the ring gear or use a notched cross pin. There are notched cross pins available from most drivetrain vendors or you can grind down the stock pin.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.