Refusing to go over 65mph - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Refusing to go over 65mph

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
zotzer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJs can go over 65? :O

zotzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotzer
YJs can go over 65? :O
Before the 33s after engine rebuild I was able to hit 100, will I do it again... He'll no
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Yeah, 1979. When they added the computerized emissions sometime in the early 80's, they just added more stuff (computerized timing, a computerized carb and all the sensors etc) on top of the old engine. The old 1979 or so engine is still underneath there.

For the computerized system to work right, it all has to be there and working right. That's never going to happen for you.

So, do the Nutter bypass (which bypasses the computer) and then tune it like it is a 1979. It is what lots of people do. Mine was totally stock and had all the parts when I bought it, but hadn't been maintained, so that's what I did. It had very similar symptoms to yours, which I suspect was a failed knock sensor among other things.

When you get to do the tuneup part, use better Ford parts. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

The 1970's ones did have the CTO, Vapor Canister and EGR valve. I'd try to put those back if it was me, because I care about the environment if it is only a hundred dollars or so, but others will have different opinions. But get it running right first.

Many manuals here. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/

Another viable choice is to buy the kit and convert it to TBI fuel injection or do the junkyard parts equivalent. I have no first hand experience with that. But you'll never get the stock system to work without the stock carb and an unbelievable amount of screwing with it.
Took the MSD stuff off and reduced my plug gaps. Still running like crap. It's weird cuz when i shot some carb cleaner in there it was roaring down the street. I wonder if it knocked some junk loose and now it's trapped. Anyway, ending the night after locating the Ignition Module and the wiring that ill have to rework for the Nutter Bypass. Start that fresh in the morning. Gonna be a pain in the *** I think cuz PO has electrical tape between two different color wires all over the place. He did alot of splicing, but no Nutter Bypass. Hoping for a succesfull operation tommorow. Atleast the rats nest wiring will get cleaned up.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the PO tried to get it to work by unhooking everything and then throwing expensive aftermarket parts on it but never really figured it out.

Mine goes 85 pretty easy on the flats, but it starts to float around on the road in a scary sort of way.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

actually no, i just threw the msd and coil and 8mm wires on cuz the msd was free and an easy try at help confirming faulty carberator. It was registered and a dd when i bought it. Do alot of highway driving, not looking for speed just capability to cruise. (I did sell my 5.0 to buy the jeep. no regrets). Well, back to the Nutter!
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nutter successful. Still got a fall on face effect if hammer gas too hard. Besides that, runs pretty good. Fuel injenction.... I wonder....
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

got Holley on phone. Carb is OEM to 74-78 Dodge 318. Cant provide any literature cuz its OEM. Early internert searches frustrating so far...
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The carb is probably too big for the engine. Maybe sell that carb on ebay and get one made for a 6 cylinder that lot of people have already used successfully.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

was recomended motorcraft ebay top seller. Would be a winter buy while the restored tub is being installed. Well written ad on ebay. Since now that is definite diagnosed course of action the possibility of fuel injection is knocking. Always believed fuel INJECTION to be more practical. Would be a first time project.
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice info guys. Thanks
huskerconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #26
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am so happy I have nothing like what mine came out of the factory with!
I did the MC2100 and HEI conversion. then pulled every vacum but the brakes, egr, dist, carbon canister and front lockup. I pulled the thermo valve off of the old air cleaner and just left in in the line for the canister.
No computer, no O2 (it's there just filling the hole).
The only electrical any where near my carb is the choke lead.
I still have 98% of the original stuff in a box though if you really want it. I figured when I'm 90 if the jeep is still in only a few pieces I might put it back to stock and put it in a museum
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it seems more and more that i have just been troubleshooting and working around a faulty carberator. Nutter bypass did not solve my issues, but was a logical and simple thing to do in my situation. No loss there. Im just wondering if the Nutter bypasses the knock sensor also because i broke it when i pulled the head to get a carb nut out of the lower block. Back of my mind says a rebuild kit for the carb will fix my performance issue. Im going to get a rebuild kit for now, and consider fuel injection for a winter project
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post
it seems more and more that i have just been troubleshooting and working around a faulty carberator. Nutter bypass did not solve my issues, but was a logical and simple thing to do in my situation. No loss there. Im just wondering if the Nutter bypasses the knock sensor also because i broke it when i pulled the head to get a carb nut out of the lower block. Back of my mind says a rebuild kit for the carb will fix my performance issue. Im going to get a rebuild kit for now, and consider fuel injection for a winter project
Knock sensor on a 4.2??
I'll pleade ignorance here. I've had the 4.2 in my 90 spread around the garage floor in pieces and never saw any sort of knock sensor.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's a knock sensor. The Nutter bypasses it along with all the other emissions sensors.
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tnx, good to know seeing that it's a $149.00 replacement part.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.