Refinishing Tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Refinishing Tub

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
szbaren3411
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Refinishing Tub

I'm slowly preparing myself to refinish the interior side of my YJ tub. My plan of attack is as follows:

1) Remove everything (seats, hardware, rollbar, etc.)
2) Sand factory paint, rust, and prep tub.
3) Fill holes to protect from paint.
4) Prime entire tub with POR 15 gray to prevent future rust (2 coats).
5) Apply herculiner

Any comments/suggestions?

szbaren3411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check the recommendations of the herculiner. Most bedliners only require using scotchbrite pads to rough up the existing paint. I would agree with your thought of fixing rust though. From what i've read, most bedliners won't adhere to smooth surfaces.
I plan on doing this, this spring. Been dipping below zero lately and my current garage heater can't keep up with it.
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
szbaren3411
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm waiting for the spring as well. I live in the panhandle of FL and the temps are a bit to iritic to do any painting. I saw a tip about inserting ear plugs into bolt holes in an effort to protect them during paint.
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Have you looked at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/
http://www.monstaliner.com/
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My suggestion is to use a quality two part bed liner. Monsta, ALS, raptor, etc

Herculiner is like black paint with sand in it.
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
szbaren3411
1990 YJ Wrangler 

10-4. I'll take your comments about using a two part bed liner into consideration.
My father has owned an auto body shop for 30+ years and is totally against me putting a bed liner finish on the inside of the tub. He says once its done its done and if you ever need to rework something its going to be a pain in the arse.
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would agree with your father. Up here in The Rust Belt bedliner makes the most sense. If I was in non-salt-road land, I probably wouldn't consider it myself. (rocker schutz on body paint in wear areas might be good though)
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post

Herculiner is like black paint with sand in it.
Hahahaha. So true. I ended up using mine to try and seal the bottom of an aluminim john boat. Worked okay for that. Its already chipped though.
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just put pieces of tape over the holes, just made them large enough to cover over the hole, then found each of them after it had cured and poked them out with a small screwdriver. Also pay attention to how long you let the por15 cure before topcoating, it gets frikin hard to scuff after a while.

Just thought of another option... the little round colored dots people use for garage sale pricetags, the 1/2" diameter ones would be great for alot of the holes.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
herc , herculiner , POR 15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.