Recycling Track bar/homemade skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Recycling Track bar/homemade skid plate

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
stompjrkz400
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Recycling Track bar/homemade skid plate

ive been working on my 94 yj for a few weeks now, rebuilding the frame and redesigning some things, i wanted to be able to unbolt my skidplate without my drive line dropping, i decided to re-purposed my old rear track bar and it seems to work very well, my thought is that now if i needed to work on something away from home, i can just pull the skid and have lots of open space. has anyone else done this kind of setup?

where it connects to the chassis is going to be boxed in for more rigidity

stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice idea. i just tossed mine. o well. is that a home brew skid? o, and im stealing the idea of a seperate cross member.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
stompjrkz400
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the skid is just 1inch stock uni strut and a piece of diamond plate i had bent up.
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You have the beginnings of a good idea, but after going through all that trouble why not tuck it up instead of leaving in the drop?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
stompjrkz400
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i hear you jbolty, i wanted to go flush, but i didn't for 2 reasons,

1: all the nuts built into the frame where gone ( p.o welded the skid on ) and

2: after looking at the drive shaft angle with the axle at full sag and the trans/tcase at tummy tuck height i was nearly 30 degrees out on the drive shaft, and i cant spend the money on SYE/CV right now, although i do see a hack and tap in the future maybe
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think you just increased the market value of track bars!
I can see guys everywhere posting want-ads willing to pay big money for them because they threw their original away!

Cool idea. I always thought the 'skidplate as structural member' idea from the factory was kinda dumb.
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
i hear you jbolty, i wanted to go flush, but i didn't for 2 reasons,

1: all the nuts built into the frame where gone ( p.o welded the skid on ) and

2: after looking at the drive shaft angle with the axle at full sag and the trans/tcase at tummy tuck height i was nearly 30 degrees out on the drive shaft, and i cant spend the money on SYE/CV right now, although i do see a hack and tap in the future maybe
Cut out something else and do it now. It will be 10x more work to do a tuck and SYE later, when the tub is back on.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build , crossmember , skid , trackbar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.