Recovery Gear? Winch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Recovery Gear? Winch?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Recovery Gear? Winch?

I have been having gear envy of my friends extensive collection of recovery gear he brings to the desert in his Toyota Fortuner. He has some MaxTrac sand ladders, a high lift jack and the most used piece of gear, the kinetic snatch rope. I know how well the rope works frome personal experience ( stock jeep and there is some really thick sand in places ). He does some serious dune bashing for fun on the weekends but most of us just drive across the dunes in a convoy to get to some of our dive sites. I am mainly interested in having the right gear to help get the others in our group out, especially when I'm leading the diving that day. I'm pretty sure the easiest and cheapest solution would be to get the snatch rope but I have a couple of questions.

To attach the rope to the back of the jeep to pull someone out I am thinking I could drill through the frame and attach a d-ring shackle or something similar. If this is a bad idea let me know but I would think there would be a lot more strength there than somewhere on the bumper.

I was also thinking it would be nice to have, and just look cool , a winch on the front instead. I have seen a Land Cruiser pull out a GMC Envoy by just hooking to the rear and turning on the winch. I have zero experience when it comes to winches so my question for those of you that use them, would the light weight of the jeep compared to a stuck suv cause the winch to just pull me across the sand instead of pulling them out? I have no clue how that would work, just thinking of questions to ask before I spend money on anything.

ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhaler View Post
To attach the rope to the back of the jeep to pull someone out I am thinking I could drill through the frame and attach a d-ring shackle or something similar. If this is a bad idea let me know but I would think there would be a lot more strength there than somewhere on the bumper.

I was also thinking it would be nice to have, and just look cool , a winch on the front instead. I have seen a Land Cruiser pull out a GMC Envoy by just hooking to the rear and turning on the winch. I have zero experience when it comes to winches so my question for those of you that use them, would the light weight of the jeep compared to a stuck suv cause the winch to just pull me across the sand instead of pulling them out? I have no clue how that would work, just thinking of questions to ask before I spend money on anything.
I would rethink drilling into the frame. That's the last thing you want to compromise. I understand that its pretty sound thinking, but, in reality you could weaken your frame by drilling it, plus when you attached a rope to it via a d-ring, you **could** bend the frame during a pull.

As far as if you winching across sand: Ive never done this but this is my thinking. It all depends on terrain and how "thick" the sand is. If you have a snatch block and a properly weight rated winch, you should be able to pull out an average SUV. BUT, if youre going "head to head" with it, I would expect you to drag (once again, depending on terrain).

I have been pulled out of a mud bog by a winch that was head to head and it was fine. But, its like anything else, your results can vary.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good information to know. Now I have to go look up what a snatch block is. Never used a winch so I assume this is a part of it or maybe an accessory?
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My D-ring mounts are tied into the frame on the back of my YJ. They also attach to the rear crossmember via the bumper (3/16 tubing bumper). I wanted an extra tie-in rather than just use the rear crossmember. Mostly to keep my spare tire swing from moving- the rear crossmember was also gusseted to the frame with angle iron.

I have a single 1/2" grade 8 bolt run up through the frame into the D ring mount from the bottom. Add to this the 8 3/8" grade 8 bolts on the crossmember. My D-ring mount is 1" thick-

Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
My D-ring mounts are tied into the frame on the back of my YJ. They also attach to the rear crossmember via the bumper (3/16 tubing bumper). I wanted an extra tie-in rather than just use the rear crossmember. Mostly to keep my spare tire swing from moving- the rear crossmember was also gusseted to the frame with angle iron.

I have a single 1/2" grade 8 bolt run up through the frame into the D ring mount from the bottom. Add to this the 8 3/8" grade 8 bolts on the crossmember. My D-ring mount is 1" thick-

It looks like you've made your rear crossmember pretty much useless though.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
It looks like you've made your rear crossmember pretty much useless though.
Please explain.

Note that I did not open up those holes in the cross member- they were already rusted through, I just hit them with a grinder to smooth out the edges. The rear of the cross member has an additional 3/16" plate welded to it now and 1.5X1.5X1/8" angle iron welded to the corners tieing it into the frame (clearanced for the shackle swing). The rear backing plate is only 2" wide, but the top holes go through this plate and the bottom has a large washer welded to the plate that the bolt passes through.

The outside set of four holes has a piece of angle to support it like the inside and large washers on the back of the bolts.

PS- the pictures were snapped prior to the backing plate N such- the D-ring plate passed through both sides of the tube bumper and is welded on both sides.

Cheers!
~K
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
BearinNM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My suggestion would be to install a properly rated bumper that has a receiver for pulling a trailer in the rear. Properly set up you will get attachment to the frame on both sides, as well as additional straps underneath. Then you run the shakle/d-ring in the receiver with a proper attachment, and your pulling will be better distributed across the entire rear frame area.

My Jeep came with the "factory" tow package which was a lesser class ball on the back, with tow hooks up front mounted atop the frame on each side, through the factory bumper holes. I did pull folks out with a recovery strap on the old ball setup, and even on the front hooks. But I would have never tried to use a kinetic type strap on either old setup trying to pull a full size vehicle from a bad stuck. Too easy to torque the frame. With a winch installed properly on the front, and/or a proper receiver hitch in the back, the forces would be distributed better across the entire frame. The bumper will beef up your stock crossmember.

The snatch block is just a single pully that can be used with a winch line or even a come-along line to "double" your pulling power, but it also halves the length and speed. When you are researching this, check on the Quadratrac or 4WD web site and you will see the goodies. Check out earth anchors (or deadmans) because this might provide a solution to anchoring your Jeep if winching someone else out, or provide a tie point for winching yourself out. I have also seen these listed in boating supply places as a place to drive your tie off line into the sand for anchoring a boat on the beach.

Craig
BearinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.