Recommendations for Hi Lift style jack? - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-26-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Recommendations for Hi Lift style jack?

What are your recommendations for a Hi lift style jack for all around use? Home: pulling hedge stumps, etc, off road (on my Jeep YJ), emergency use, etc? There seems too be so many out there and in different configurations. I’ve never used one but want one that does it all, with a multitude of accessories to add/use at my discretion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just buy the Hi-Lift brand one, although overall I'm not a fan of those jacks. I carry a bottle jack in the Jeep and I use the Hi-Lift for pulling fence posts and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 07:45 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hi-Lift only!!! I have use it for many things, from lifting, to pulling, and clamping, and has never let me down. The knock offs are questionable if they last. Another plus is you can rebuild the Hi-lift if you ever have to. I inherited an old jack from my grandfather rebuild the mechanism and it has worked flawlessly.

post #4 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely buy the Hi-Lift. What do you save with an off brand? $20?

I bolted mine to the top of my Tuffy Insta-trunk. The soft top still folds down over top of it.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. It sounds like it's a Hi Lift brand jack for me.
Another question: What would be the best length? Will all the lengths fit my YJ?
I forgot to add, my Jeep is a 1991 YJ Renegade, really has no bumpers to lift from.
Where would I lift from? Or how would I use this jack on my Jeep?
post #6 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 03:32 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you don't know how to use it or what it's for I would not get a hi-lift. They can be very,very dangerous and just because you see a bunch of jeeps driving around with one bolted on is not a reason to have one.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I do disagree with people that say "They're Dangerous!!!!". All jacks are dangerous. Don't go into the possible pinch points when the vehicle is on a jack.... any jack....

If you don't have steel bumpers, then that is a very good reason to use a bottle jack instead. The bottle jack has access to the U-bolt plate which is a great jack point.

If you are interested in steel bumpers, then specific Hi-Lift jackpoints can be great add-ons which can make jacking much safer by stopping the desire for the vehicle to shift sideways.

There are also Hi-Lift jack add ons which can grip the rim with chains and hooks. This could be an option for you if you don't have steel bumpers. For changing a tire, you would lift the vehicle with the hi-lift, slip your jack stand underneath, let the vehicle down, change the tire, then repeat in reverse order.
gotswap likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

jbolty, Your kinda right?
I wanted it because I notice in all the TV off road shows, they show Hi Lift jacks on most Jeeps? I just thought this would be a great emergency tool? But after reading the post replies, I wouldn't know where to use it on my Jeep YJ Renegade? A bottle jack would be OK, but you would have to get under the Jeep. If I wanted to do that, I would use the OEM jack that came with my Jeep.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's the thing about the hi-lift. It seems like a must have as you see it a lot as essential off road jewelry. Then you get one and realize that it really sucks to use for the tire changing application. It unwieldy to use for just about anything. It CAN be used for a lot of recovery situations, but there is almost always another tool that will do it better and safer. Its just about useless on your renegade as it will only rip your body cladding off. I have one with most of the optional add on accessories and have never needed any of it. Ive seen them in use by others and it was always bordering on dangerous.

A GI folding shovel, a snatch strap, a length of PSP, and a "J" hook tow chain are the stuff that gets used the most in my gear
bruinjeeper likes this.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #10 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks very much for all of your guys honest input. At least I got my fuel line leak fixed, thanks to all you guys on the "Jeep Forum". I'm still trying to figure out my 1st & reverse gear shudder???? I want to do so much to my Jeep (restoring it), but until I find the shudder problem, I have to be patient. And to be honest, I've been contemplating selling it, God Forbid!!!
post #11 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Still haven't fixed the shudder?

How often do you drive it? Daily? Rarely?

Didn't you have an issue with a replacement fuel tank not fitting the skid plate, too?

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #12 of 31 Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a "Hi-lift" jack, I have a "Jackall" jack. It's the Canadian version of the Hi-lift. At least it used to be. It's made in China now. Mine is quite old, but has never failed me. But I think the last time it was used wheeling, was when an XJ lost his front drivers side spring. Yep, no limiting straps.It's also been used a few times to get a couple of D35's up off the ground when they broke their axle shafts. It'll get it up high enough to throw a log under the axle.

In theory you are supposed to be able to ratchet strap one to a tire of a D35, with a broken axle, and it'll keep the tire on. But I've never seen anyone do it.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #13 of 31 Old 08-28-2017, 06:35 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
you mean like this?

don't have a picture from after the test fit with the handle and mechanism removed, but it does work.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #14 of 31 Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's it.

It looks good in theory, but did it actually work? Driving forward, the front part will want to push the jack down. It looks like that part is addressed. But what about the rear wanting to push the jack up?

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #15 of 31 Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
drove it out 4-5 miles like that. I think we wedged the jack handle into the spring or something to hold the back down; don't recall exactly.

Long story short, I have about 4 hi-lift jacks because people keep giving them to me after lugging them around for years and never using them. There have been a few times when it was just the tool for the job but mostly it's about jacking up the jeep and constantly trying to keep from having it fall over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.