Recommendation about lockers? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Recommendation about lockers?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
danieljeep88

So you will go with an auto 100% rear? Why wouldnīt you go 100% up front and selectable in the rear? Donīt get me wrong , itīs a educate me question haha

danieljeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well, mainly because i cant afford two selectables .

IMO, locking the steering axle would make for difficulty in turns. especially if you drive in snow.
- first thing, if your on it enough to lock it up, you could "go strait when you turn." (in 4wd, on snow/ice of course)
- second thing, it makes tight turns on trails slightly more difficult
- third thing, when off camber, if it should decide to spin, it could make you slide to the side.

the auto locker out back can have some of the same effects, but to me it would be much more noticable in the steering axle

this is only my opinion, as im sure some people will disagree with me.

you simply have to choose your battles, or break the bank and buy 2 ARB's.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
ugmo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A locker in the front does not do well in slippery conditions (ie mud, snow, ice). I have my front locked and a lsd in the rear. The rear lsd will be replaced w/ a locker. As an fyi, my old jeep had a locked rear and open front and that combo worked well in all conditions.

I'm going to replace the lsd in the rear for sure, but uncertain about the front (although I'm really considering removing the aussie). A couple weeks ago, I ran into some serious mud while the surface looked completely dry (thanks, mojave desert) and the front locker dragged me deeper to the side while the rear lsd did nothing useful. When the front is locked, you get horrible steering in those types of situations.

If you have $1k, then do a detroit; if you have limited funds like everyone else, then an aussie will work just fine.
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugmo View Post
If you have $1k, then do a detroit; if you have limited funds like everyone else, then an aussie will work just fine.
more like $500. still not cheap, by all means. but not a grand either......

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
danieljeep88

Thanks to all of you , I have two buddyīs with detroit auto 100% in the rear they say itīs the best thing they have done but another buddy ho drove it said it a pain in *****. So I am very confuse actually I have 400$ to spend for the rear locker.... I have like 2 weeks in this confusing topic..
danieljeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well any "locker" is going to have quirks, wich to some may be a PITA. however, i can pretty much promise you, that if he doesnt like the detroit, he would really not like the aussie.

an lsd might help, but its not a locker. if you start to sway towards the lsd side, check out the true-trac.

damn, if i keep this up detroit locker is going to give me a job offer

edit: if you decide to look at a true trac, check, check, check prices. lots of places try to sell them for $600 + but one can be had for around $350-400 if you look hard enough. i dont know why that is...

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

From your profile I see you are from Virginia. So, chances are you rarely see much snow.

That being mentioned, since you said you were on a budget why not do the following: Get an Aussie or LockRight or similar for the front. Try that out for a while. If that isn't enough for you, then you can save up for a selectable rear.

Once again, being that you live in VA you have the benefit of not seeing that much snowfall. So you might not even mind a lunchbox rear. It will chirp around corners a bit when on the skinny pedal, but if you're on dry pavement then who cares. (Since you don't have a D35 you don't have to worry about it imploding on the street.)

Personally, I'm going to leave my rear LSD for the time being and put an Aussie up front, but thats only because of two reasons:
1) PA sees a little bit more of snowfall every year
2) Can't afford selectable, and since my 8.8 is LSD I would have to swap to an open carrier, reset R&P anyway (something I don't know how to do yet). So until I learn how, leaving LSD in the rear.

Think about the type of offroading you do. Do you really NEED locked front and rear, or are you falling into the trap of thinking that because all the "serious" offroaders are locked F&R that you need to be too. Once again, personally for the type of offroading I do, all I need is a front locker for 90% of the wheeling I do. Sure, I'd love to be locked F&R when I visit Rausch Creek, but the two trips I plan on making this summer don't justify the added cost.

If you really want to know how a lunchbox rear handles in snow, you should be asking the people who live in the higher latitude states like Colorado, Montana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Vermont, Maine, or those who live in Canada, etc.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
OnlynAYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running the Spartan locker for some time now in the front and have been quite pleased with it...It is very comparable to the Aussie or Lock Right, in performance and price. The install is fairly simple, I've heard that the design simplifies the install, but as I have never installed an Aussie or Lock Right I can't really testify to that. The only negative thing I could say about it, if you would even consider this negative, is that it tends to be a little louder than the Aussie or Lock Right.HTH
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:29 AM   #24
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have aussies front and rear. The rear pops and clicks and things, but it's really not bad--you just have to learn how to handle it.

I don't know the aussie in the front is even there until I am in 4wd

That being said, they both do well and I'm glad I have them. If I was getting a rear locker now, I would probably get the detroit--go ahead and get rid of that weak 8.8 carrier.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #25
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i been looking for a front locker for my D30 since i did my 8.8 rear swap. I welded my spiders in my 8.8 as its cheap, as thing as a spool and Detroits i dont like.... to many bad day! Only problem ive run into is trying to figure out what locker i want for the front so i been loving this thread!!
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
I keep saying the same thing and keep being ignored. Buy ARB. In my experience both with my Jeep and others, ARB's are the best game in town. Yes, they are a bit expensive. But they are VERY effective, very reliable, and can locked or unlocked instantly with the push of a button in response to trail or road conditions. I think they are the best.

But like all lockers in the front, they still don't steer worth a sh** when locked. That's why it is nice to be able to instantly unlock them. There is no way around this quirk with front lockers.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

+1 for ausie lockers, my brother runs them front and rear in his yota. He drives 2 work everyday on the street and freeway with no problems. he is also able to do pretty much anything at the hammers here in socal.
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #28
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I run a detroit in the rear and i do love the function, its strong and locks every time. Its a beast. But its loud. The clicking gets old to me. If i had it to do over again, i would probably go selectable. As others have said, the aussie in the front is pretty much invisible on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
ugmo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
more like $500. still not cheap, by all means. but not a grand either......
Installed? No.

Most people can do a lunchbox type without help, but a Detroit carrier replacement type will generally add on labor costs.
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #30
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Aussies front and rear on jeep and explorer, 100% recommended
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.