Rebuilt transmission concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilt transmission concerns

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
damonejeep

Rebuilt transmission concerns

I recently had my trans. over haulded. I have been driving it for 2 weeks now and the problem does not seem to be gone. Second and third gear were difficult and sometimes impossible to get into. For the first 10 minutes of driving, second gear is almost impossible to get into and third gear is difficult once in a while.

Is this normal for a rebuild tranny? Do I need to take it back?

94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Bob K

That often happens after a rebuild due to the new gear oil being so thick. It gets easier to shift after the oil warms up and thins out. You can either:

-drive it for a while and see if it gets easier.

-replace the trans oil with ATF. this brings better shifting, but probably increased wear.

This is all assuming the rebuild was done right by a reputable shop. It wouldn;t hurt to aske them to test drive it and give an opinion.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:45 AM   #3
damonejeep

Thanks Bob K. ATF, I assume is automatic tranny fluid? What makes then different from manual tranny fluid? Just curious.

If I stick with Manual tranny fluid, will this difficulty perisit in shifting?

Thanks for the advice.
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by damonejeep:
Thanks Bob K. ATF, I assume is automatic tranny fluid? What makes then different from manual tranny fluid? Just curious.

If I stick with Manual tranny fluid, will this difficulty perisit in shifting?

Thanks for the advice.
ATF is a thinner viscosity (10 - 20 wt.) than gear oil that is routinely 75 - 140 wt.
You may want to try running ATF for a month and as the trans breaks in, switch back to the recommended gear lube.
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:56 AM   #5
JeeperJay

I just put in a rebuilt AX-5 tranny in my jeep and I'm having the same problems. Its quite hard to shift when its cold, but after a few miles it loosens up. The problem is definatly the fluid. Check your owners manual it may have a few fluid alternatives for warm and cold weather applications. If not then just change to a slightly lighter weight gear oil. And as mentioned earlier ATF is also a alternative but it may increase wear slightly in a manual tranny.
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
damonejeep

Great. Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.