Rebuilt 1995 Wrangler YJ 2.5 MPFI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilt 1995 Wrangler YJ 2.5 MPFI

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTime To Save On Yukon Lockers!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuilt 1995 Wrangler YJ 2.5 MPFI

Hi everyone, I just rebuilt a 1995 wrangler yj 2.5 MPFI. I have replaced all sensors with Standard brand devices all except O2 and IACV. was having acceleration hesitation problem but after the sensors were changed all acceleration issues went away, all good right. Now after resetting ECM I have an idle problem, it just idles rough, but accelerates and drives great! Just idle issue, do I replace IACV? Also my timing light when I hook it up to #1 and shoot to crank pulley, the mark flashes past zero clockwise, is that supposed to be like that? I repeated distributor installation and it still flashes past the zero mark CW.

any ideas any suggestions?

Thanks for your time everyone,

Belizejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Start by cleaning the IACV and the throttle body passages. New gasket and o-ring.

Put a new O2 sensor in it. Are the plugs new?
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did a clean to TB an IACV before changing sensors, but I will remove and redo. gasket an o-ring are good new. yes new plugs. O2 sensor seams good no code, am thinking I should change em out too. Thanks Drednot

any thought on the timing light, when the strobe flashes the pulley mark should be aligned to the zero on timing chain cover right?
Unread 01-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

update...cleaned TB IACV...now she idles great! However she's terrible on acceleration it's rough on acceleration. O2 sensor still original.
Unread 01-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get any codes out of it? I'm not 100% sure about the 2.5L but I think the ECM does the timing and you cannot clock the distributor since it only has one position. You just have to make sure the distributor is set to the #1 cylinder at TDC. But I assume you didn't make any changes to that. If you get a new O2 sensor, go with a Denso, I believe they were from the factory versus the Bosch, just a preference though.

Again, get the codes out of it first and go from there.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no codes... yes 2.5 MPFI is set by ECM so I figure distributor position is good. hope to get O2 sensor sometime during the week. wondering if the ECM is going bad now? as all the sensors are new except IACV n O2.

thanks Lou n Drednot
Unread 01-10-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
SailerMatt
Make it work
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure that your spark plugs are copper.
SailerMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #8
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes autolite 985 copper core

thanks SailerMatt
Unread 01-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I try to change out the O2 sensor with every other spark plug change. They get contaminated with fuel deposits/additives and any kind of silicone spray/fumes kills the sensor.

As far as the timing mark, it's possible the outer ring is slipping because of a loose/rotten rubber ring in the harmonic balancer. They dry rot and break loose causing the timing mark to drift from its correct location
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok Drednot, so I will pull the #1 plug an do a physical TDC on #1 to see if timing mark is off. Yeah the rubber on HB is dry n cracked on the outside facing radiator, so if it has slipped, then I guess I'll need a new or good used HB. Thanks
Unread 01-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is no point in checking the timing mark like that. Its computer controlled and you were running good the timing is correct. The thing you might need to worry about is a stretched timing chain. If it has slipped a compression test is a better way to diagnose it.
This video shows how to check for timing chain slop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_f5ukZVri8
Do what Dred says before doing anything else. The O2 sensor is important. Note if your issue on acceleration is any different hot/cold.
Use this thread and post your fault codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Use this link and download the service manual:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsLQSA5L5B8

Your in good hands with Dred.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok got the O2 sensor this morning Parts store here in Belize only has Standard brand O2. hooked it up n verified my TDC on #1 and gave her a try. she briefly ran great good idle good acceleration took her for a spin in the yard and seem when she get above 100* this problem comes back. it was hard restart and when she fired up good idle and bad acceleration again. Am all for suggestions here put lots of $ into it and no change. Is this an ECM issue? Or What? Thanks
Unread 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What you just said is extremely important. It ran well then started acting up. You said you replaced all the sensors. You are not listing them so I need to know for sure you replaced the intake AIR temp sensor? The symptoms match you issue.
Unread 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also check your codes and post them. I linked how.
Unread 01-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
Belizejeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

que89yj thanks for quick reply, I have replaced TPS MAP CPS distributor PickUpCoil and today the O2. Am getting temp sending unit because the base where connector connects rotates, it's located on the head driver side rear of engine, i do have it in a sweet spot where I get a reading on the gauge at least . Intake air sensor has not been changed. Also I notice the yj manual you linked has a different image on cap plug positions than the chiltons, Chil shows #1 right behind a/c compressor @3 o'clk n the one I just downloaded shows #1 @ 6 o'clk. Which is right? as I switched my wires around according to that manual I downloaded and she does not start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.