Rebuilding Tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilding Tranny

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
bcshepard

Rebuilding Tranny

Going to rebuild tranny (well ford mechanic freind will). Do I need any special tools for AX15?

First-2nd gear is shifting hard so I am going to replace sync rings and gears. Anyone know of any good packages/kits that they would recommend for doing a rebuild to my tranny? Replace major worn components? Basically I need to get parts in then rip open tranny and rebuild because I cant have it down for long to crack it open, inspect needed replacements then go at it. Bud can rebuild tranny - no probs he's just never done Jeeps.

bcshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
jammnj88

i just rebuilt mine..well i took it apart adn my 5th gear syncros were all broken so i had to jsut buy a used rebuilt tranny.. i dont think you need any special tools to do it
[COLOR=Red]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #388[/COLOR]
jammnj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:26 AM   #3
Questor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If all that's wrong is the 1st/2nd synchros, you can get them for about $20 a piece (you'll need two). If you want to do a little more, for about $150 you can get all the synchros and bearings, and for about $250 you can get a "Master rebuild kit" that includes the main case bearings, needle bearings, gaskets, seals, thrust bushing, synchro dog kit, misc other minor parts etc...

As for replacing the gears, unless they are SEVERELY worn, or missing teeth, there should be no reason to replace them...if you DO really want to go this route, they are about $100 a piece...and for some reason the 1st gear runs about $140-$150...the clusters vary widely, and the synchro hubs are $50-$60 each...

A fully "rebuilt" AX-15 will cost you about a grand, give or take, and this usually means that is has been done with the master rebuild kit, not new gears or other hard parts although the occassional rebuild has had really badly worn hart parts replaced.

It's a relatively easy job, but beware that you WILL, and I mean ABSOLUTELY WILL need to have the bearings pressed off with a good hydraulic press (take it to a shop)...but go ahead and break a puller or two if you want to try.

Crack it open, well, it's not a standard case, but pull it all out and see if any hard parts REALLY need replacing, and then decide...if the hard parts look good, go with the Master Kit + any worn synchros and you will get another ~200k out of your AX-15
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
danmc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
If all that's wrong is the 1st/2nd synchros, you can get them for about $20 a piece (you'll need two). If you want to do a little more, for about $150 you can get all the synchros and bearings, and for about $250 you can get a "Master rebuild kit" that includes the main case bearings, needle bearings, gaskets, seals, thrust bushing, synchro dog kit, misc other minor parts etc...

As for replacing the gears, unless they are SEVERELY worn, or missing teeth, there should be no reason to replace them...if you DO really want to go this route, they are about $100 a piece...and for some reason the 1st gear runs about $140-$150...the clusters vary widely, and the synchro hubs are $50-$60 each...

A fully "rebuilt" AX-15 will cost you about a grand, give or take, and this usually means that is has been done with the master rebuild kit, not new gears or other hard parts although the occassional rebuild has had really badly worn hart parts replaced.

It's a relatively easy job, but beware that you WILL, and I mean ABSOLUTELY WILL need to have the bearings pressed off with a good hydraulic press (take it to a shop)...but go ahead and break a puller or two if you want to try.

Crack it open, well, it's not a standard case, but pull it all out and see if any hard parts REALLY need replacing, and then decide...if the hard parts look good, go with the Master Kit + any worn synchros and you will get another ~200k out of your AX-15
Exactly right. There is no need to replace gears unless they are damaged. The syncros are what you want to replace. I would just get the complete rebuild kit with all bearings, syncros and seals and do it once. you might as well since you'll have the tranny apart anyway. And just as Questor said, if you don't have your own hydrolic press, you'll need to take the shaft to get the bearings pressed on/off. Should cost $20 at the most. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Manual transmissions are more simple than people think. If you don't feel too confident, refer to a service manual or good magazine article for help as you go.
danmc77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.