Rebuilding a trak lock lsd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilding a trak lock lsd

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-16-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
iamthemellowman

Rebuilding a trak lock lsd

just figured out that i could get a rebuild kit for about 75 bucks. Has anyone done this? seems like a cost effective way to get power back to both wheels since I annihilated it once... yeah yeah, 'in the long run...." I know, lsd wear out and aren't like true lockers but it's better than what i've got now. Sometime in the future i plan on doing axle conversions so this is something to make the time in between more bearable.

Unread 02-16-2002, 09:28 AM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by iamthemellowman:
just figured out that i could get a rebuild kit for about 75 bucks. Has anyone done this? seems like a cost effective way to get power back to both wheels since I annihilated it once... yeah yeah, 'in the long run...." I know, lsd wear out and aren't like true lockers but it's better than what i've got now. Sometime in the future i plan on doing axle conversions so this is something to make the time in between more bearable.
The problem is without the proper tools it is VERY difficult to install new clutch disks. The install requires a case spreader to allow the disks to be installed with preload. No preload and it won't work effectively. Most of us don't have case spreaders laying around in our garage.
The effective life of my Trac-Lock was about 6 months BTW. I have since installed a Powertrax No-Slip and am very happy so far.
Unread 02-16-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
iamthemellowman

yeah, i've checked out the no-slip.. seems like a beefy unit. however it costs 420 vs 75 and for a broke guy like me, i'll give it a go... apparently they use a trak lock in mustangs as well so if people want to read up on how to do this, i found this page to be the best so far..
http://www.scoa.org/venom/1999/venom071.pdf

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.