Rear YJ Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear YJ Shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rear YJ Shocks

I have approximately 5 inches of lift. I am wrapping up my swap and wouldn't you know it the shocks that the PO threw on look way wrong. Keep in mind i also installed MORE rear upper shock towers i picked up during their 20% Christmas sale. While the jeep is on fairly level surface, both upper and lower shock mounts are about 20 inches apart. Is it normal for the shock to only have a couple of inches of travel when on the bottom not flexing.

I guess what i am really asking is let me see your Rear shock setups. The shock body on mine seems to long and that there is not enough piston. From the top of the shock body to where the piston starts is 16.5 inches and the piston is about 10.5 inches and the lower shock mount is another inch and a half for a total of 28.5 inches. Does this sound like normal dimensions for a Jeep's shock.

Thanks in advance,
John

JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only way to really tell is to take off your shocks and try to flex your rear end like a mofo. Then measure where stuff ends up. From your numbers it sounds like your shocks might be too long. Also, the way you described it makes it sound like you have the shocks mounted body-side up which could be bad for some shocks.

How much of the shiny chrome rod is showing when you are at rest?

DeKalb, huh? My uncle coaches hockey at NIU.
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

~2" sounds as if they will bottom out.

This is my passenger rear. MORE uppers, RE lowers. Extended length (not static) = ~26" IIRC.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
The only way to really tell is to take off your shocks and try to flex your rear end like a mofo. Then measure where stuff ends up. From your numbers it sounds like your shocks might be too long. Also, the way you described it makes it sound like you have the shocks mounted body-side up which could be bad for some shocks.

How much of the shiny chrome rod is showing when you are at rest?

DeKalb, huh? My uncle coaches hockey at NIU.
I mounted the shocks body side down. The shiny chrome rod is only 10.5 inches when the shocks are not on the jeep. When i have the shocks mounted up to the jeep there is only a few inches of the shiny chrome rod, essentially eliminating and more up travel and acting as a premature bump stop. The body of the shocks are 16.5 inches. I think that not only are they to big but also are for a different application.
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you don't want the shock to be a bump stop. Where is you lower mount? I would do the same as post#2. You need to know your travel... distance from fully stuffed to fully drooped. I don't have a pic handy, but mine looks like Joes (except I do'nt have those nice shiney Fox's. lol.)
It's all relative. The mounts, upper and lower, need to match the length of the shock, including the length of the can, the travel, ect. You may have to adjust your lower mount to match the MORE upper. That would be my guess.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to go out and measure them and i will get back to you. My setup is almost a mirror to that of Joe Dillards except for stock springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.