Rear Wheel Play - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Wheel Play

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Wheel Play

My searches came up empty, but probably because I am not using the right search terms...Anyway...I noticed yesterday that my rear wheels move outward about 3/8 to 1/2 inch when pulled on. In other words, the rear end is jacked up (tires off ground). I pull on the tire in the same motion as if trying to pull the tire off the studs to change the tire. However, the lug nuts are still tightened. The wheel and brake drum assembly pull out about 3/8" - 1/2". And of course I can push it back in the same amount. It does the same thing on both driver and passenger sides. So there is some slop/play in there that I don't remember feeling in the past. Is it normal? There are no foreign noises coming from the wheels, and I can't feel any noticeable wobbling when driving, but it seems like there would be some wobbling. The rear diff is still giving power to the back tires (runs in 2WD just fine).

If this is not normal, where do I start looking?

kbson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You gotta open the rear diff up. Pull the cover and see if you even have C-clips still in there.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering about the c-clips, but wouldn't the whole axle walk out if those clips were gone? What would be keeping the axles in?
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

im guessing c-clip deformed or the part it slides into may be damaged allowing the extra play, or it's successfully blasted the carrier splines creating some room.

maybe broken center pin in the carrier? it's not so much letting you pull the axle out more as it is letting you push it in more.

Just throwing chit out there. BTW you're in mesa, Locals of that area tend to speak highly of Letzroll Offroad and the owner Andrew. They'd probably take a look at it for you.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha - I didn't think of it that way. I'll crack it open tomorrow night when I have some time. Good to know about Letzroll. Thanks.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No side ways play?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You probably have a LSD diff. Mine has done this since new, first time I noticed it I thought for sure something was broken inside the diff but apparently this is normal with the factory limited slip.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

According to my build sheet, I do have the LSD diff. I would not have guessed it would be "sloppy" like that though. Weird.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, first time I noticed this i thought for sure it was a problem, took it back to the dealer and made them show me on a new jeep that it was normal. I found this about 18 years ago and I'm still running the same rear end without problem.
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for chiming in, Reno. That puts my mind at ease.
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if I have a lsd? I noticed mine has a little play, I don't how much play it has but it is enough to make a noise when you pull on the tire. Exact same symptoms as OP. My D35 does not have c-clips.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I wonder if I have a lsd? I noticed mine has a little play, I don't how much play it has but it is enough to make a noise when you pull on the tire. Exact same symptoms as OP. My D35 does not have c-clips.
Could be, what you desribe is how I found what I thought was a problem. I noticed it changing a tire, when I pulled there was a clunk. When you take a sharp turn do you ever get a little chirp. After 21 yrs my LSD will still hook up and chirp sometimes going around a turn.
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I must have been on LSD to think my Dana 35 was going to last with my monster 31" tires.
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I must have been on LSD to think my Dana 35 was going to last with my monster 31" tires.
LOL, yes I've heard that a lot, and when my build is done the D35 will be gone. That said, it's been in there 21+ years pulling 32/11.5 almost the whole time, so mine has done me well.
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Could be, what you desribe is how I found what I thought was a problem. I noticed it changing a tire, when I pulled there was a clunk. When you take a sharp turn do you ever get a little chirp. After 21 yrs my LSD will still hook up and chirp sometimes going around a turn.
It might be a LSD. It has never chirped on me while turning, but playing in the snow it kind of acted like a LSD, I just figured the tires were hooking up good enough for an open to spin both tires. With 173k miles I would not be surprised if the LSD has stopped working.

Tags
play , rear axle , slop , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.