Rear Upper Shock Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Upper Shock Mounts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Rear Upper Shock Mounts

So both of my rear upper shock mounts are busted. So I plan to grind them off and have a couple of new ones welded on.

I found these from Rusty's Off-Road
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan..._Suspension_YJ

I was thinking, ok this is a decent price and should work out well. Except that they want almost $30 in shipping to send me 2 of those. What is going on with the shipping prices lately. While there are some companies still being reasonable, it seems like alot of the parts warehouses are gouging the shipping prices

Does anyone know of any other sources for this part so I can compare prices and get the best deal. Trying to stretch my Jeep money as far as possible.

Also, if anyone knows of any write-ups, tips, or how-to's regarding the replacement of the rear upper shock mounts please let me know. Mostly I'm concerned with the drivers side because of all the fuel lines and brake lines running through there. Should I drop the tank?

Thanks,
~Jason

Skydmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's just a post. Since you were looking at that replacement part, I'm assuming you can weld. Some shocks come with a large bolt for one end, which you may be able to find. I had two of them (Rancho I think, maybe Skyjacker) in the junk-bolt-box at the time I broke one. I just welded up a bracket to hold one. You could probably just use a bolt with a sleeve too, weld the bolt head to the backside of a home made bracket and slip on the sleeve for the shock. In the photo below of mine, I welded the thing on so the post was 2" forward (nestled in the tub pocket under there, you'll see it) , allowing for a longer shock, more travel. That wrinkly buggered area of the frame is where the OEM bracket was on this left side photo.

Jeep routing the fuel and brake lines over the top of the left post was one of the dumbest designs they did. You may be stuck welding to the normal location with a fabbed bracket. I swapped the frame at the time, so rerouted those lines normally against the frame.

Unread 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Actually I can't weld....yet. I'm going to have my uncle put the shock mount on, he has a stick welder. He can weld ok but his fab skills are poor at best...haha. So I was looking for a factory style ready to weld shock mount.
Skydmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just did mine.... Call a local dealer, that's where I got mine. I didn't have time to fab one up, need the rig on the road, my truck was down.
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I fixed mine this weekend too (drivers side mount snapped off). I used a piece of scrap angle iron. Drilled a hole in the angle iron, ran a grade 8 bolt through (will probably replace bolt with propper spindle at somepoint)- welded it to the frame. Simple and a lot stronger than the wimpy thin factory mount. Was going to do the passenger side too (not broke yet), but it was getting late in the day so decided not to.

Started doing something else and ran out of welding wire, so I guess it is a good thing I didn't try to do the passenger side!

~K

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.