rear transmission seal?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear transmission seal??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-10-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

rear transmission seal??

i think my seal between my transmission and t-case is leaking, anyone know how hard this is to fix??? it seems to be going pretty good at least after long drives when the oil has thinned out. (4 banger 94 YJ) what pisses me off is the trans was new when i bought the jeep in 99 and the t-case was replaced in 2000 (story behind that one dealer said they never saw one shattered THAT bad - wish it was done OFF road having fun)-- anyway it shouldnt be leaking yet! hell i cant even see where its coming from.... but it drips off the bolts that hold it to the skid plate and around there

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2002, 03:19 AM   #2
93 Blue Demon YJ

Sure it isnt the output for the driveshaft on the transfer case? That is easy to fix. if it is in between the transfer case and transmission, it makes it much harder, you would have to separate the two, which would probably require removing both the transmission and transfer case from the engine, so that you could seal it properly, which is not fun. Not a hard fix (The seal part), but you would have to remove TC & transmission. If thats the case you may be better off checking the fluid and adding more as needed periodically, and putting it off. Good Luck!
Unread 05-11-2002, 06:42 AM   #3
johny1i

Clean up everything under there real well and then see if you can tell what color the fluid is. If my memory serves me right, there's gear oil in the trans (gray color), but automatic transmission fluid in the TC (red color). Also, I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago and the guys were right, any leakage at all will be exaggerated because of the wind draft and heat of the exhaust thinning it out. I had what appeared to be a huge TC leak, but then it turned out that the fluid level in the TC was level with the fill plug when I checked it--just as it should be. My suggestion--top off both the trans and TC, drive it a couple of weeks, and then check your levels. It may not be nearly a bad enough leak to warrant pulling those two off.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

its definitly not the tc tail seal i just replaced that not too long ago.. and its not atf leaking out its not red, it appears to be just gear lube from the tranny smells like it too wasnt brave enough to taste it... jk, i need ti check it, but i was leaving some damn good size puddles, but after short trips its not bad long trips it drips like crazy and i know it is sort of exaggerated, but i am trying to put it off till i can get the v-8 in and just not worry about it anymore, but if its bad i am going to have to do it
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2002, 09:49 PM   #5
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My '92 YJ is doing the same thing. Has been ever since I bought it last year in Nov' but it has a ton of miles on it! Its a real slow leak but it looks horrible when you look at the underside. I think its the rear main seal too. But its not bad enough to fix yet. And from what I've heard Jeeps don't leak they just mark there territory.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.