Rear Traction/anti-wrap Bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Traction/anti-wrap Bar

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Traction/anti-wrap Bar

I have been having really bad axle wrap since ive gotten my soa completed and just broke my tom woods driveshaft. So my question is what is a good rear traction/anti wrap bar that will help with axle wrap and not limit my flexibility. I know they are out there just want to purchase a good one for a good price. Ty for you help!

mmkcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

MORE, Sam's Offroad, home built, they pretty much all work the same. Google "Bam Bar", that's about the only one that's different.

That's too bad about the driveshaft, that's an expensive lesson to learn.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's too bad about the driveshaft, that's an expensive lesson to learn.
i called tom woods and they are going to fix the driveshaft for free, so i got lucky with that. and ty for input.
mmkcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As an option to lessen the chances of bind, you can install two (upper & lower) johnny joints at the shackle end, instead of just the typical one.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

im about to swap in another axle into my yj thats SOA. I've never had much of an issue with axle wrap though. But check out anti wrap spring perches. Its a bigger surface for the leaf to sit on and i guess prevents axle wrap.
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbeaudreau View Post
im about to swap in another axle into my yj thats SOA. I've never had much of an issue with axle wrap though. But check out anti wrap spring perches. Its a bigger surface for the leaf to sit on and i guess prevents axle wrap.
Usually these are a 7" long perch and reportedly not enough to prevent wrap from those who have tried them by themselves. I'm making my own traction bar right now and am only in it for about $60 bucks in steel and other parts. Tons of threads on here and elsewhere on how to do your own if one is interested in saving $$$ and having the satisfaction of building it themselves.

Unread 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the "anti wrap" perches, and when my traction bar mount busted at the skid,,,,, well let's just say they're not so "anti wrap".
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ran the "anti wrap" spring perches with RE spring over springs, Which again are suspose to take care of spring wrap. I still had severe spring wrap.
I can not tell you how many driveshafts I destroyed.
My traction bar started life as a MORE bar.
When I lengthened my wheel base I tried to lengthen the traction bar, it did not work out.
So mine uses the mounts and shackle from MORE.
Over the winter I also added a high misalignmet hiem instead of the flex joint at the shackle end. I am really happy with the results.
This is the heim.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-Hi...ims,45403.html
If I was to do it all over again I would either make my own mounts or by ruffstuffs kit.
You do not need to use DOM for the bars.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
travis8410
1990 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone tried the bam bar thinking bout building one? I'm wondering if I can drill and tap it to housing instead of welding to the cast? Looks like to me most of your force will be pushing up so I would think bolts would hold it?
travis8410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
JJGiguere87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the MORE traction bar and I am very pleased with the work. Noticed a difference as soon as I drove out of the garage with out even getting on it.

I have the 7" long perches and they don't do anything when you get on it.

Here's the MORE traction bar installed on my 8.8

JJGiguere87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis8410 View Post
has anyone tried the bam bar thinking bout building one? I'm wondering if I can drill and tap it to housing instead of welding to the cast? Looks like to me most of your force will be pushing up so I would think bolts would hold it?
I looked at building a bam bar.
It has been a while, but it seemed to me like I did not have enough room above the diff. for it.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGiguere87 View Post
I have the MORE traction bar and I am very pleased with the work. Noticed a difference as soon as I drove out of the garage with out even getting on it.

I have the 7" long perches and they don't do anything when you get on it.

Here's the MORE traction bar installed on my 8.8

Shouldnt the shackle be going the other way (traction bar on top)?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.