Rear Tcase Fork Sprays ATF. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Tcase Fork Sprays ATF.

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I installed a Rugged Ridge SYE on my 1990 NP231J and drove fine for about 250 miles then at 263 I went under cuz my speedo stopped working (I used a 1995 harness) and when I went to readjust the speedo housing cuz it's a 29tooth and not a 36 tooth like I need (4.10 gears on 31.65 inch tires) I noticed that there was this awkward fluid on the muffler and in a spray line over the underbelly. Any ideas?? I notice the fork can wiggle a small amount in and out. The seal was dry when I touched it. The inside of the fork was a little wet like where the u joint sits. I haven't removed my t-case drop since installing the cv shaft and t-case but that wouldn't cause this would it?

/End Transmission

Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Did you put that rubber star washer on? Or it could be the muffler is heating grease up and making it sling out.
Grease the U joints to be sure..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Did you put that rubber star washer on? Or it could be the muffler is heating grease up and making it sling out.
Grease the U joints to be sure..
Well the grease is red and the ATF is red and whatever it is won't burn off the muffler it just stays...

However when I handle it after letting the exhaust cool remains very very viscous.

I don't remember this kit coming with a star-washer and pictures I'm looking at in the manual don't have one.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just keep an eye on the fluid level of the t-case and look for red drips on the driveway. Maybe put a piece of white cardboard underneath or something. From the picture it doesn't appear to be a major issue.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
jerresredyj

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think this might be the star washer Delta is referring to.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...r-seal-washer/
jerresredyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerresredyj View Post
I think this might be the star washer Delta is referring to.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...r-seal-washer/
Yep, that's it.

Without one, it's not uncommon to have fluid leak through the splines.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen my share of chewed up seals out the front yoke and for that a little rtv will seal it up on top of the old rubber.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Be sure what fluid it is, don't just assume ATF. It could be u-joint grease, which can be red too. Might be a bad muffler bearing too.

[I made that last part up.]
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Blinker fluid leak, Don?
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max

Yep, that's it.

Without one, it's not uncommon to have fluid leak through the splines.

Max
So do I just need to buy one of those washers and install it? I'm not familiar with where exactly it goes but it looks vaguely familiar and I think my old one got reused and was rather beat up....

/End Transmission
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it will likely clear up your leak (assuming its coming from the SYE end). Just run a dab of RTV around the collar behind the rubber washer, finger tighten and let sit for an hour, then torque down the output yoke to 150 lb-ft and you should be good.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The AA part is the best price I can find. Of course the shipping is more. I just ordered four of them and a few U bolts and the shipping was $12.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.