Rear spring plate replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear spring plate replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rear spring plate replacement

I need some help, I have to replace my rear spring plate and I'm worried this is going to be like opening one of those cans with the spring worm in it. How do I get it off in a safe way?

image.jpg  
Jeff21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like your right about there. You have the jeep up on the frame, now use the floor jack under the Diff to take some weight off the springs and unbolt.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not really liking the block of wood on the jackstand but other than that you are ready to go. The axle is over the spring so nothing will fall except the bottom plate when you unbolt.

Best practice calls for not reusing ubolts.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The other side is still sitting on the ground, does that matter?

I also worry about the axle rising up to the bump stop and knocking it off the jacks
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I'm not really liking the block of wood on the jackstand but other than that you are ready to go. The axle is over the spring so nothing will fall except the bottom plate when you unbolt.

Best practice calls for not reusing ubolts.
Yep I don't really like it ether but I don't have jacks or jack stands that go that high
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff21 View Post
The other side is still sitting on the ground, does that matter?

I also worry about the axle rising up to the bump stop and knocking it off the jacks
you need to have both left and right side wheels off the ground, with jack stands supporting the frame.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that crossed my mind but I really was not wanting more wood blocks holding it up.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap View Post
you need to have both left and right side wheels off the ground, with jack stands supporting the frame.
That's it. Raise the rear end and sit the frame on jack stands making sure the wheels aren't resting on the ground. If the rear end is just hanging there without any ground contact then just unbolt the ubolts to remove the spring plate. The axle with just sit there on the springs, no worries.

One thing I do when I don't have enough wide pieces of wood to stack UNDERNEATH the jack stands... I raise the rear end up at the diff and set the jack stands under the frame rails. I then remove the tires so when I lower the axle back down to just hang the jeep isn't as high in the air. You might not be able to get an impact under there but if you just but you can just go higher unless your using a breaker bar.
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

what he said ^^^

Just be careful and have the tires under the frame for extra safety

best = taller stands
next best is a platform of solid wood under the stands.

If only one side is jacked and the vehicle is slanted it's easy to jostle it off the support.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Harbor freight has 6 ton jack stands that will go really high. The work well for lifted jeeps and are inexpensive. Get some decent jack stands to support the frame and the rest is easy.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my lift, I gathered 4 jack stands. 1 for each frame rail and 1 for each side of the axle. I jacked up the rear end, pulled the tires, then lowered it on to the frame rail stands. Once I had the frame supported, I slipped one under each side of the axle to support the axle. Now the axle can't come down too far and the frame is supported. From there the only thing that can move is the spring.

I removed the shocks first, so I didn't over extend them, then dropped the springs. Since you're just doing the plates, you can add 2 more jack stands - front and rear of the spring plates - to keep the springs from dropping too far.

Safety first, second and third.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does anybody know where I can get some heavy duty plates and heavy duty u bolts to replace these?

Thank you for all the advice, you may have saved me some pain
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those plates look pretty good, looks like they are skid plates with recessed nuts. I'd clean them up and repaint unless they are rusted out. Here is a link for u bolts, though any off-road shop ahs them.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/u-bolts-rub-re2421.html
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I might have some used stock plates if your interested, but I agree, clean up those and use them if they are still good.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Jeff21
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think I can reuse
image.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.