Rear SOA Springs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear SOA Springs

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Wow. I was going to comment in this thread but it seems to have too much drama in it. God forbid i even post a pic of hoopty for reference, Id get torn up my all the internet know it alls.
<humor>
What, nothing to help the OP? You're useless!
</humor>

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i dont have a pic of mine right now but i used a shackle at the frame. made the bar completely flat and had 3 heim joints on it. it didnt limit my flex at all from what i could tell
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperdon View Post
<humor>
what, nothing to help the op? You're useless!
</humor>
:d

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I bet you will Chris.

Hows the rig coming along? you get it on the trail yet?
Ready to go now. Taking it out to TDS next week to see if I can break it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know, I guess maybe it isnt limiting flex, but that it just looks small since I have 31's on it. My rear spring is inverted. I would have done the same to the other side, but I couldnt find a spot where I could pull up like this on the pass side. You see my lower shock mounts are as high as I could get them without limit travel too much. Plus the Teraflex bar helps. It also doesnt look as flexy since the passenger side wasnt able to go down, I could only pull up on this to see how high I could get the driver side to flex up since that is the side my traction bar is on and the side that would be the most restricted.

I really hate these pics underneath BTW, it all has nice paint and looks almost new. That mud is irresistible though.
20130220_172712-1-.jpg   20130220_172503-1-.jpg   20130220_172659-1-.jpg   20130220_172625-1-.jpg  
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U sure ur shackle moves?U have it mounted insider he mount, that's sort of unusual. Mayb loosen it up a little n see if it helps, make sure it swings nice n freely
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW: I have very similar springs, my antiwrap bar is in the same spot and I've wheeled without a bar (and broken driveshafts) and I've wheeled with.

I've tried different springs, shackles, bars, 31s,33s,35s and 37s and even different bars.

Everything certainly has a trade off. I have to keep in mind that my "responsiveness" is a little high when I'm climbing obstacles on my driver side rear. This has resulted in (almost) unnecessary roll overs.

With 37s and crap springs and no anti-wrap bar I've busted a driveshaft on a highway on ramp. We could all give up and switch to 3 links and coilovers but how fun is that??

I don't like rolling in ***** situations and I don't like breaking driveshafts on on-ramps.

I think you're on the right track. Good job not getting distracted as the old timers flame each other...
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes my shackle moves. Greased not too long ago, and not overtightened.

Yeah I am not getting distracted by these guys arguing with each other.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can not tell are you running boomerangs in the rear?
I run a high misalighnmet hiem with spacers at the front part of the traction bar.
Seems to help.
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

My bar looks almost the same as yours. Bushings on axle and and pivot has a heim, except I run mine on the passenger side. I was curious about flex when I first got going so I tried flexing the rear. Did it once, measured then disconnected the heim end and did again. Got about the same measurements surprisingly. Running RE 1.5" springs.

Also out of curiosity, what angle is your pinion at compared to your output yoke? Looks a lot lower than the 1-3 degrees recommended.
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #41
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHD View Post
My bar looks almost the same as yours. Bushings on axle and and pivot has a heim, except I run mine on the passenger side. I was curious about flex when I first got going so I tried flexing the rear. Did it once, measured then disconnected the heim end and did again. Got about the same measurements surprisingly. Running RE 1.5" springs.

Also out of curiosity, what angle is your pinion at compared to your output yoke? Looks a lot lower than the 1-3 degrees recommended.
Nope, angle is fine. Pic is while it is flexed so it looks weird. I have no vibes at all. It is 3 degrees on the dot. I mounted mine on the driver side since the 8.8 is offset a couple inches to the passenger side. That way I kept it as far towards center as possible.
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #42
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Overkill,

My old 2.5L YJ was set up pretty much identical to yours but I was running 35's. I had about the same amount of flex in the rear. I beat the piss out of that jeep. Moab, the Hammers at JV and alot of stuff here in AZ, that jeep could do just about anything. Seems like your front is flexing pretty good so I would not worry so much about the flex in the rear. I would bet that eventually you may want larger tires and regear to 4.88's. When that happens you will want that traction bar. If you want better offroad performance put a cheap locker in the front diff and leave the rear limited alone. You will be amazed at what a front locker will do offroad.
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #43
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Overkill,

My old 2.5L YJ was set up pretty much identical to yours but I was running 35's. I had about the same amount of flex in the rear. I beat the piss out of that jeep. Moab, the Hammers at JV and alot of stuff here in AZ, that jeep could do just about anything. Seems like your front is flexing pretty good so I would not worry so much about the flex in the rear. I would bet that eventually you may want larger tires and regear to 4.88's. When that happens you will want that traction bar. If you want better offroad performance put a cheap locker in the front diff and leave the rear limited alone. You will be amazed at what a front locker will do offroad.
Yeah, I got a front locker in there. I installed it three weeks ago. I am only going to 33's so I am torn on a regear. Not sure if it is worth it since I will be swapping the engine within a year. 4.10 is nice with bigger motor
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #44
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Yeah, I got a front locker in there. I installed it three weeks ago. I am only going to 33's so I am torn on a regear. Not sure if it is worth it since I will be swapping the engine within a year. 4.10 is nice with bigger motor
If your swapping the engine and going 33's you will need that traction bar.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #45
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like the angle of the shackle might be hitting the crossmember at full flex. If it were me I would try drilling a new hole further away from the crossmember so there was no chance of contact between the two.
Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.