Rear SOA Springs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear SOA Springs

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont have any pics of mine, but it is the same as that. That is the design I copied using schedule 80 pipe. I have a heim join in the front and two bushings in the rear. I also installed a removable crossmember and welded the mounts to the frame.

As far as springs go, like I mentioned in the original post, I had full length leafs added by a spring shop. When that was done I also have the springs re-arched and the springs completely rebuilt front and back. The thicker springs in no way limit flex if done properly. I actually bend them backwards in the front all the time and they go right back to their normal shape. In that pic you can actually see the spring going backwards on the pass side, and all the other tires are still on the ground. The little plastic things that go in between the leaves to let them slide against each other, as well as greased bolts and shackles make the biggest difference.

I would only expect to get 1-2" of additional flex in the rear without my traction bar. The heim joint only turns so far and I am pretty sure I am hitting its limits. Now if I could figure out a way to let the shackle setup on the crossmember rotate I would be able to get the extra without the traction bar limiting it at all.

775060_4797912677409_561996262_o.jpg  
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U can put heims on the back by the axle n it will let it rotate more, I no people that have 3 heims on theirs but mine doesn't limit my flex at all so im not too worried. If its an inch of 2 ur worried about, I just wouldn't worry bout it haha
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After looking at r pics there ur Antiwrap bar is not whats limiting u, I'd put my money on ur shocks and where they r mounted. Mainly the top mounts, I can see ur still using ur stock mount up front n I'm assuming the rear is the same...if so there no way ur gona get all ur flex out of it but that's all speculation. Hard to tell all that from ur picture there, I no this was my issue originally with getting all the flex out of my springs.
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same set of RE SOA springs under my '91 for over a decade. No torsion bars, ever. No wrap. My 2c.
ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OverkillYJ... SOA with 31" car tires? You may need to change your JF ID.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
So you agree then, springs will tweak and crap will break. Your 'I-don't-care-about-that' approach is definitely not main stream logic. Most prefer to design breakage out of their Jeep rather than design it in. [P.S. Get a new kbd, your shift keys for upper case are broken, and make a paragraph once in a while.]
no i dont agree. i never have with you. you are too much of an idiot to actually understand what i was saying. unlike your "its going to grenade at first use" attitude i on the other hand will never follow the mainstream sheep logic.
stop being an *******.

hows that for a new paragraph ****-for-brains?
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OverkillYJ... SOA with 31" car tires? You may need to change your JF ID.
again stop being an *******. its just as easy to put your **** down. an 8.8 and 35s is like 31" car tires to me. if you arent going to help dont post. no one likes an internet tough guy know-it-all.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

skyjacker really? what a piece of ****. i guarantee this is exactly what the PO is trying to avoid. you dont think this limits flex because your shocks and mounting are doing it for you. dont even bother posting this embarrassment.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I built my Jeep myself with 31's when they were brand new and free, and haven't bought new ones yet. Sure, tires make it look cool and handle trails nice, but I swapped my rear for an 8.8 Posi and locked my front which makes a bigger difference offroad as long as I am not in mud all day. Upgraded everything I could think of. Tires were last on the list. Anyone can go put tires on something, I prioritized. I am only going with 33's in a month or two since I will be rubbing those at max flex. These all terrains have done great though.

As far as my rear shocks, I have a Teraflex bar in there. I need to bend my exhaust a bit to move them to the center most studs, but I am only 1 notch away from there. Plus I need to replace my muffler (again). When I do that I will be able to move my shocks as far center as the bar lets me. And you may be correct, that may help a bit.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If u don't want I move them over ne more, il prob get flamed for sayyin this but u can move ur mounts on the axle down a little as well. I had them up on top my axle and moved them to the front/slightly underneath and it made a world of difference. I got sum shock tabs from ruffstuffspecialties that have a metal piece that goes underneath where the shock mounts Sony dont have to worry about banging it of rocks. I guess I could have just welded a piece of plate across my existing mounts I made but oh well. Let us no what u end up doing once u get it straightened out.
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
If u don't want I move them over ne more, il prob get flamed for sayyin this but u can move ur mounts on the axle down a little as well. I had them up on top my axle and moved them to the front/slightly underneath and it made a world of difference. I got sum shock tabs from ruffstuffspecialties that have a metal piece that goes underneath where the shock mounts Sony dont have to worry about banging it of rocks. I guess I could have just welded a piece of plate across my existing mounts I made but oh well. Let us no what u end up doing once u get it straightened out.
Thats pretty much wheremine are now, they just do not go lower than the tube. They are pretty much level with the bottom of it.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
no i dont agree. i never have with you. you are too much of an idiot to actually understand what i was saying.
We're actually on the same page with this. We both agree that an anti-wrap system (whatever kind/design) will help parts last longer, though possibly with an impact on articulation. You don't prefer anti-wrap, but since you are well experienced in off-roading, you probably drive to get it done without anti-wrap or much damage, an approach that works for you. I tried that too for the first set of springs (years), then decided I'd have a go at a setup with anti-wrap. For me, so far, I still get it done on the trail and an comfortable with any restrictions the setup may present, though I have not seen any as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
il prob get flamed for sayyin this but u can move ur mounts on the axle down a little as well.
No flaming (was none meant above either). The bottom shock bolt center happens to be a 1" or so below the axle bottom. The upper shock mount is about 4" forward of stock and an inch or so higher, so I can use a much longer shock. That allows for more travel without the lower mount hanging up as much.

Oh, on my 31" tire comment above... I meant that an SOA allows for larger tires on a YJ than 31's. I was making a joke about it, but like Fratis thinks outside the box on Jeep design, I guess I tend to do that on humor.
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. I was going to comment in this thread but it seems to have too much drama in it. God forbid i even post a pic of hoopty for reference, Id get torn up my all the internet know it alls.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Wow. I was going to comment in this thread but it seems to have too much drama in it. God forbid i even post a pic of hoopty for reference, Id get torn up my all the internet know it alls.
Don't worry I will flame you anyway.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Don't worry I will flame you anyway.
I bet you will Chris.

Hows the rig coming along? you get it on the trail yet?

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.