Rear SOA attempt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear SOA attempt

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-28-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
admar2

Rear SOA attempt

ok, I hacked those shackle hangers back off the rear end, and got the itch to try something.

I moved the springs over the axle in the rear. gained a bit of lift for sure. I'm trying to decide if I like the way it sits now or not. these springs are my stock rear springs, not lift springs.

nothing is welded up yet, just bolted. if I decide to keep it this way, I'll set the pinion angle and weld the new perches and cut the old ones off.

its got a bit of a slope to it. I threw the spare in the back to try and weigh it down a little, plus I figure the new bumper/tire carrier I"m building will weigh near 80lbs.

what do ya guys think?? anyone else SOA in the rear and SUA up front???

I think I'll roll it out of the garage in the morning and make the final decision.

rear height to bottom of frame. anyone know the measurement on their YJ at these points??

front height to bottom of frame

admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I think with the tire carrier...it will be darn near perfect height. I like it.
Unread 07-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
jipjip

your gonna get MAJOR flex in the rear w/ that setup , but make sure you tackle the axle wrap problem w/ a ladder bar or similar.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
admar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
your gonna get MAJOR flex in the rear w/ that setup , but make sure you tackle the axle wrap problem w/ a ladder bar or similar.

I've got the MORE anti-wrap bar sitting in my garage. gotta figure out a way to put it on the passenger side. the exhaust is in the way right now.

I think I'm gonna leave it SOA, and weld everything up tommorrow and wheel it some this weekend.
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

These might help you out a bit with ideas for the traction bar.

Unread 07-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
admar2

looks good! is the traction bar as effective if its on the drivers side?

mounting on the drivers side wouldn't be any problem. there's lotsa room on that side.

just out of curiosity, what's your pinion angle at?
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Not once have I had axle wrap. The difference between passenger and driver side for mounting is minimal at best.

I believe it ended up being 22~23 degrees. Thats with my 2" lift springs, stock shackles and no tc drop.
Unread 07-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
admar2

alright, got the pinion angle set and the new perches welded on today. also removed the old perches. still need to fix the rear brake hard lines, and install the traction bar.

next to a full SUA YJ on 33's for comparision.

Unread 07-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
iking87

is there an advantage to going boomarang shackles when SOA?

also, how do you determine the pinion angle? i am going SOA as soon as i find an 8.8 with 4.10s and discs for the right price ; )
iking87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
admar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iking87
is there an advantage to going boomarang shackles when SOA?

also, how do you determine the pinion angle? i am going SOA as soon as i find an 8.8 with 4.10s and discs for the right price ; )

there are numerous writeups on how to set the pinion angle online.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
Unread 07-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
admar2

worked on the crossmember and the brackets for the traction bar this morning.

had a heck of a time figuring out a way to build a crossmember, as the rocktrac transfer case I have is a good bit bigger than stock, and was in the way, seemingly everyway I tried to come up with a crossmember.

here's the result. its 1.25inch DOM, 1/4inch wall. I took two pieces and notched them so they would slide over the MORE shackle bracket.

like so.

then I fabbed a bracket on the other end, to bolt up to the bellyup to frame location

other side in place

both sides in place, center welded up

it'll be fully welded to the bellyup when I'm finished. I hope it'll be strong enough.

Last edited by admar2; 07-29-2006 at 05:33 PM..
Unread 07-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
jipjip

man i wish i new how to weld. that looks well strong enough to me......i love fab work, it's so awesome. looks great man, keep up the good work. next thing to tackle is those bump stops!!! you gotta have correct length bump stops to prevent your springs for negative arching too much, that's what kills springs the quickest, and SOA setups required the lengthening of the bump stops to compensate for the negative spring travel your gonna get.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
admar2

I think I'm just gonna get some 5inch springs for the front, to level it out, and stay SUA up front.

are there any good 5inch lift springs out there?
Unread 07-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
Yule16MET

never heard of them, but usually people go sua in back and soa in front but if you did the back and know how to set the angles then why not do the whole thing.
1990 YJ lerado,Soa,2.5R.E.springs,8.8,4.88'sPSC trail cage&rocker nockers w/sliderbars,home made bumpers, 35"boggers,sye, tomwoodsds, revolvers, red & yellow optima, bushwackers,corbeua ss seats,mc2100,juicebox, 3core rad., b&mshifter and highlift,5point harnesses,wheel spacers,9000lb mile marker,ssdash kit,no sway bar, no trackbar, walmart lights,clinometer, XJ passenger shaft, axle tube seals, M.O.R.E track bar

And a Monster Yellow CJ5
40x17's 12"lift full cage
Blackjeepclub #16
Armyjeepclub #16-#1
yellowjeepclub #BIG16
Yule16MET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #15
admar2

well, the front flexes fine. the rear didn't flex worth crap before. hence the experiment with SOA in the rear.

I don't wanna have to deal with the steering issues on the front SOA. I have a D30, so hi-steer kits are few/far/expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.