Rear shock problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock problems

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
firstnationslw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rear shock problems

Hi, I'm new the forum so please be gentle with me. I have a '95 YJ. In an attempt to improve the ride, I purchased Skyjacker Hydros. I'm not suspension pro but I was surprised when I opened the boxes that none of the shocks had a strap or wire keeping the shocks compressed... they were just compressed. Anyway, I installed them and went for a test drive. Right off, I noticed that there was something wrong in the back... a very noticeable 'thud' as the shocks absorbed very small bumps. Not so much on the big bumps and ruts. The front shocks seem fine but I knew something was wrong in the back so I took the new rear shocks out and reinstalled my old shocks until I understand this more. Before I put the old shocks back on, I put the new and old side by side (fully extended) and noticed that the new shocks were at least two inches shorter than the old shocks. Also, I noticed that one of the new shocks was toast... no give whatsoever.

Everyone keeps asking me if my YJ has been lifted and to be honest with you, it does look pretty high compared to other Wranglers, BUT I don't see any lift under there... unless I'm missing something.

I'd like to replace the rear shocks but not knowing the history of my YJ prior to me owning it and my recent experience with the new shocks, I'd like to solve the mystery before I waste anymore money on shocks that might be the wrong size.

firstnationslw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Pictures will help us here .The shorter shocks sound like the are bottoming out. If the p.o. even put in lift shackles then oem shocks might be to short.If you add in 2.5 inch lift shocks (if you need to)the end play would be gone.Also check all your bump stops too.If they are gone it will be a hard clunking.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thoughts

The shocks that have straps from the factory are gas charged. The ones you bought are oil filled. If you don't know what lift(if any)your Jeep has, you can always buy them(shocks)by dimensions. Just get the static length measurement and the distance between the bump stop and the axle tube and go to the parts store.

P.S. Static measurement is the distance between center of mount to center of mount with the rig on a level surface.
yj87ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna give you a couple of links here that may help you a bit.

YJ FAQ's

You can measure from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel to see if you have any lift, the stock ride height is 18" so anything over that will be the amount of lift. There's more here, YJ Stock Specs. Take a look at your springs, if they're not flat or near too it, they're gonna be lift springs.

As for the shocks maybe this write up from Joe Dillard can help you a bit.... Everything you need to know about shocks

And finally help with posting pictures.... How to post pictures

Hopefully that will at least get you started in the right direction.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
firstnationslw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think you're right. I think there's a lift in there that I'm not spotting. I'll get under there and snap some pics. Thanks for getting my 'gears' turning...
firstnationslw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , shocks , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.