(I'll post pics when I get a moment)
Problem: Rear shock mounts (where the teraflex shock bar mounts) were broken off last off-road trip. (TeraFlex link: Quadratec Item Description
What I've done:
I've tried a bunch of things so far and none of them have worked at all.
- From what I read around the forum, I gathered that I should be able to hit the bolt that you attach a teraflex shock mount bar to and it should come right out. Well that idea didnt work at all. I had 3 different people hit it with 2 different sizes of hammers and it didnt budge at all.
- So I figured I'd grind it down as much as I could and then try to hit it out. That didnt work either.
- So we took an impact hammer to it.. all that did was successfully make a nice dent in it.
- I tried drilling it out, but the metal is hardened and only made a tiny scratch.
I dont have, and cant use a torch on it to heat it up and then try.
So this generates two questions:
1. How the hell do I get this out? Drilling, Hitting, and Impact hammers dont work.
2. This is a serious question, but ... do I really need shocks at all? I dont plan on going off-road until I do have them back on, but the Jeep is also my DD. Is it okay to drive without rear shocks?