Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas?

(I'll post pics when I get a moment)

Problem: Rear shock mounts (where the teraflex shock bar mounts) were broken off last off-road trip. (TeraFlex link: Quadratec Item Description

What I've done:
I've tried a bunch of things so far and none of them have worked at all.
  • From what I read around the forum, I gathered that I should be able to hit the bolt that you attach a teraflex shock mount bar to and it should come right out. Well that idea didnt work at all. I had 3 different people hit it with 2 different sizes of hammers and it didnt budge at all.
  • So I figured I'd grind it down as much as I could and then try to hit it out. That didnt work either.
  • So we took an impact hammer to it.. all that did was successfully make a nice dent in it.
  • I tried drilling it out, but the metal is hardened and only made a tiny scratch.
I dont have, and cant use a torch on it to heat it up and then try.

So this generates two questions:
1. How the hell do I get this out? Drilling, Hitting, and Impact hammers dont work.
2. This is a serious question, but ... do I really need shocks at all? I dont plan on going off-road until I do have them back on, but the Jeep is also my DD. Is it okay to drive without rear shocks?

BAJER-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Godchsr
2001 WJ 

I drive my Jeep to work every day without the rear shocks on. It's not a big deal. I drove my XJ with none for quite awhile.

I'd cut the bolt off.
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the shock bar broke the bolts off for me. I've got new ones that I need/want to replace it with (grade 8, 5/8 bolts), but I cant get the damn old ones out...

Thanks for info about the shocks. Oh, I do have SOA, w/o shocks does that increase chances of spring-wrap or do the chances remain the same?
BAJER-guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.