Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rear shock mounts broken, cant remove the bolt... ideas?

(I'll post pics when I get a moment)

Problem: Rear shock mounts (where the teraflex shock bar mounts) were broken off last off-road trip. (TeraFlex link: Quadratec Item Description

What I've done:
I've tried a bunch of things so far and none of them have worked at all.
  • From what I read around the forum, I gathered that I should be able to hit the bolt that you attach a teraflex shock mount bar to and it should come right out. Well that idea didnt work at all. I had 3 different people hit it with 2 different sizes of hammers and it didnt budge at all.
  • So I figured I'd grind it down as much as I could and then try to hit it out. That didnt work either.
  • So we took an impact hammer to it.. all that did was successfully make a nice dent in it.
  • I tried drilling it out, but the metal is hardened and only made a tiny scratch.
I dont have, and cant use a torch on it to heat it up and then try.

So this generates two questions:
1. How the hell do I get this out? Drilling, Hitting, and Impact hammers dont work.
2. This is a serious question, but ... do I really need shocks at all? I dont plan on going off-road until I do have them back on, but the Jeep is also my DD. Is it okay to drive without rear shocks?

BAJER-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Godchsr
2001 WJ 

I drive my Jeep to work every day without the rear shocks on. It's not a big deal. I drove my XJ with none for quite awhile.

I'd cut the bolt off.
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the shock bar broke the bolts off for me. I've got new ones that I need/want to replace it with (grade 8, 5/8 bolts), but I cant get the damn old ones out...

Thanks for info about the shocks. Oh, I do have SOA, w/o shocks does that increase chances of spring-wrap or do the chances remain the same?
BAJER-guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.