Rear shackles hindering full flex. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rear shackles hindering full flex.

So I recently replaced everything from the frame down on my jeep and my front end has pretty much no issues so far but the rear is getting its full flex all the way and because of that I can't measure for what size shocks I need.

So I'm on a 4.5 RE lift with 35" coopers and my rear shackles are Currie boomerang rear shackles. This is what's happening.

So I don't really want to notch anything I'd rather get longer shackles. To fix the problem. But I don't want lift shackles. So let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 07:43 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Would flipping them around and loosing the center brace make any difference?

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Uhhhh maybe but the center brace is there so it stops spring inversion.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Would flipping them around and loosing the center brace make any difference?
I don't think that would help for the rear. The bend needs to be at the frame so it can "wrap" around. At this point the spring is maxed out on flattening because it's hitting the bottom of the cross member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_S1007 View Post

That's what I would do for the front. I've never seen rear springs invert.

To the OP. I guess you could get slightly longer shackles but you'll ultimately have them hitting the cross member under full compression. You could relocated the upper rear shackle mount similar to a CJ but you'll need to get leafs with less lift. You can also relocate your rear springs further back and put shackles mounts on the rear cross member/bumper.

The one pic is for 3/4 elliptical but you should get the point.
Attached Images

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 PM
paulhead
I overtighten stuff

1994 YJ Wrangler 

this is what I did on another jeep, ignore the upside down shackle

94 4.0, D30 , Yukon (Warn) hubs Lock-Right, 8.8 locked Grizzly, 4.10's, 35"MTR's, Barnes 2" belly, Smitty winch, 44044's front, 4" Zone's rear

post #6 of 25 Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I don't know if I want to do that much fab work I'd rather find a shackle that'll extend all the way that will swing under the bumper.

post #7 of 25 Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Longer shackle is about your only practical solution. You will get more lift though... Also, what is the 1/4" plate under the crossmember?

post #8 of 25 Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rear shackles hindering full flex.

A longer boomerang style shackle correct?
Only picture I have but the PO fabed up a hitch lol I'd never use it to tow anything but it makes for a good recovery point.

post #9 of 25 Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The longer shackle will allow the spring to compress more but they may still hit the crossmember under heavy compression. The shackle plates themselves that is. They can only pivot as far as the cross member will allow.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #10 of 25 Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 AM
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

could you cut notches in the crossmember... for the shackle plate sides to slip through?

4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
post #11 of 25 Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're at the point I was when I decided to go SOA. It's more work than swapping shackles, but it does eliminate the problem. The flatter SOA springs don't cause nearly as much shackle length change as the highly arched taller SUA springs.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #12 of 25 Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 AM
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Not sure how you would get spring inversion in the rear unless it happens while in reverse. People run boomerangs in various configurations to get the right setup for their application

-DJC
post #13 of 25 Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
You're at the point I was when I decided to go SOA. It's more work than swapping shackles, but it does eliminate the problem. The flatter SOA springs don't cause nearly as much shackle length change as the highly arched taller SUA springs.
This is where I'm at as well. My front is SOA and I have the springs for the rear. I just need perches and shock mounts and a free weekend.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #14 of 25 Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post

I don't want to go soa just yet I just put all this new stuff on lol. It hasn't even been on a real trip yet just a couple rocks and dirt roads to find the kinks. Just this link I can't seem to figure out unless I do some interesting fab lol
post #15 of 25 Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't want to go soa just yet I just put all this new stuff on lol. It hasn't even been on a real trip yet just a couple rocks and dirt roads to find the kinks. Just this link I can't seem to figure out unless I do some interesting fab lol
Then, there is no magic 'Oh, buy this part.' fix. You're just going to have to work the problem through. The question was asked above, whats that 1/4" flat plate it's hitting? Maybe that can go and would help. Maybe just live with it as is by adding a proper bump stop to make that the limit, so you don't force the spring more. A fabbed longer shackle would be my last choice.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.