Rear shackle... Does it move? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shackle... Does it move?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rear shackle... Does it move?

Okay guys I'm going to do some frame repair on my buddies jeep. My question is does the rear shackle move and if so how much? I need to figure out how I'm going to patch this hole. Not going to cut it out, I'm going to wrap it. Thanks guys/gals

image-666361289.jpg  
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, they "swing" towards the tcase upon suspension droop, and "swing" rearwards as the suspension compresses.

Its rare they swing more than 90* especially since when they swing rearwards the shackle can contact the rear crossmember. Hence boomerang style shackles.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just jack the jeep up in the rear, put a jack stand on the frame in front of the axle so the wheel is off the ground. take off the rear shackle and fix it. dont try to fix it with the schakle on. the shackle does move a lot during wheeling. check out some of the flexing shots
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richharr
just jack the jeep up in the rear, put a jack stand on the frame in front of the axle so the wheel is off the ground. take off the rear shackle and fix it. dont try to fix it with the schakle on. the shackle does move a lot during wheeling. check out some of the flexing shots
Yeah that was the plan, but if the shackle didn't move I was going to weld it right up to the shackle. My other question is how am I going to have enough room to put a plate on and get the shackle around it? I was also thinking about forming a plate into a U and notching out for the shackle, so it will be supported from the bottom still.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check these out
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-bo...rangler-yj.htm
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87
Thank, I have seen those and ended up making my own. You think I can spread those shackles a little to fit the plate between it?
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you make the top wider you will need to make the lower part narrower so it's the correct width for the springs. Personally I would cut out the rusted part mostly to make sure how far back it goes. Welding a patch to more rust is not going to help.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
Thank, I have seen those and ended up making my own. You think I can spread those shackles a little to fit the plate between it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If you make the top wider you will need to make the lower part narrower so it's the correct width for the springs. Personally I would cut out the rusted part mostly to make sure how far back it goes. Welding a patch to more rust is not going to help.
I haven't used them myself but it looked like a good starting point as long as the rust is contained.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.