Rear R&P took a sh*t again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear R&P took a sh*t again

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
Quan

Rear R&P took a crap again

Late last week my rear end started clicking. I feared the worst but hoped it was a bad u-joint. Parked my jeep for the weekend and left this morning to get it fixed. A mile from my house i hear the loudest bang my jeep has ever made and my jeep shook like no other (rear end took a crap). Turn right around and coast most of the way home. Call up the dealerships offroad center that put the gears in Feb of 2001 to get Genuine gears warrantied. 4 or 5 months ago the same thing happened as some of you may remember. At that time i just walked in, showed them the receipt, gave them my old gears and they ordered me a new pair and handed them over a few days later. I call today and they guy is trying to dick me over. Says he wont warranty the gears because i am not the original purchaser, the guy i bought it from is. I raised hell on the phone because at first they said they never even put a super35 kit in before but it says plain and simple on the receipt that they did. Went off for about 5 minutes then he says "well, they've really cracked down on the gear stuff so the only thing i can do is give you the number for genuine in oklahoma city and you can talk to the manager there." - ooooooooooooh, i see... so they cracked down on gear stuff.. so they installs they do take a **** all the time then? anyways... while im writing this i get a call back from Mark, the manager in OKC and he's sending me a new set. he's charging me for now but when he gets my old ones he will credit back. All is well i suppose.. so good ole Broken is once again.. broken.

what have i learned from this? go to the place, pretend i'm the original purchaser, never EVER, let them know who i really am. AND DONT LET PEOPLE TRY TO SCREW ME OVER!

I saved 200 bux on gears and now i just gotta pay for installation.. probably new bearings and such again.. but woohoo!!! new stuff!

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Re: Rear R&P took a crap again

Quote:
Originally posted by Quan
I saved 200 bux on gears and now i just gotta pay for installation.. probably new bearings and such again.. but woohoo!!! new stuff!
To break
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
Quan

yes naekid.. to break!

I cant afford to get my new axle yet so i'll spend some money to keep this POS working. I cant afford to not have my jeep since its my only vehicle. Some day soon i will have a ford 9". Unless i can find a d44.

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 10-23-2002, 09:00 AM   #4
Quan

GREAT NEWS!

Not only did my ring and pinion crap out on me.. my detroit grenaded as well. I know what you're thinking "why not just get rid of that POS d35 and get a real axle." well... I can afford 300 to put in a new locker and gears... but can i afford to pay 80 for the axle, 200 to get it shortened, hopefully get monts welded on for free... 100 for new cheap ar767s, plus 100 for the new mounts, u-bolts, etc.... my life sucks. i guess i'll just have them throw a stock carrier in there and have an open differential. say buhbye to traction..hello to being a crappy jeep.

Edited to remove creative spelling of filtered words

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 10-23-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think (therefor I am) that you should really find a guy with a welder who can do the final welds on that new Ford 8.8" axle .. and stop screwin' around with that D35 .. you are too hard on it buddy!

Unread 10-23-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
Quan

why 8.8? why not a 9? I will basicly be going on price here but i can get a 9 inch for like 80 bucks and have a friend of a friend shorten it for cheap. I can get the mounts welded also probably for free and after everything is said and done.. probably less than it would cost to get the locker. 350 for a lock rite or 4 something for a detroit.. i'll end up spending 300 or so on a new axle. Someone please just shoot me.

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 10-23-2002, 02:24 PM   #7
AllanAlxndr

I hope you don't call this stuff Luck...
Maybe Broken should go get a Name change

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 02:29 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Someone please just shoot me.
BANG!!!

Ok .. now that's done ..

The 8.8" wouldn't need to be shortened .. its strong .. and no changes needed for rims and such ... it would be the simplest with your situation ..

Sure the 9" would work for you .. but I would leave it as full-width .. less work and more stability on the corners

Unread 10-23-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
Quan

sounds good but from what i have heard.. they 8.8 from an exploder wont work with anti-lock brakes. is this true.. and if so.. is there a fix. I honestly dont care if i have antilock brakes or not!

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 10-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #10
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
sounds good but from what i have heard.. they 8.8 from an exploder wont work with anti-lock brakes. is this true.. and if so.. is there a fix. I honestly dont care if i have antilock brakes or not!
My understanding is that the axles "plug right in" .. if your Jeep does not have anti-lock braking system, the axles would still work, even if they were designed for anti-lock systems as the control box is on the firewall ..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.