Rear output shaft seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear output shaft seal

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Jeepfan Jeff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rear output shaft seal

I replaced the rear t-case output shaft seal and 1 week later its leaking. Why, I cleaned everything and didn't see any wear on the yoke portion. The parts store guy said there is a sleeve that you drive onto the yoke, does anybody have any experience with these?

weber 551-38
nutered and juiced
Ramsey Pat. 9500
(5)33x12.50x15 wildcats
eagle alloys 058
Missouri Offraod Outfitters over the top axle truss
M.O.O. rock bruiser diff cover
bushwacker cut-out flairs
shrockworks rock sliders
sorry no pics of the Schrocks & Bushies yet(but soon)

personal garb.
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/]http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/[/URL]
Jeepfan Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfan Jeff View Post
I replaced the rear t-case output shaft seal and 1 week later its leaking. Why, I cleaned everything and didn't see any wear on the yoke portion. The parts store guy said there is a sleeve that you drive onto the yoke, does anybody have any experience with these?
The design of the slip yoke lends it'self to leaks. That being said, it should last longer than a week. There is also a bushing in the tail housing that minimizes lateral movement. If the bushing is shot, it will quickly destroy the seal. An S.Y.E. eliminates all of this if your wallet can afford it. Have you any driveline vibes? With a 3" lift you would definitely benefit from having one even if it isn't totally necessary.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Jeepfan Jeff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't feel any vibes and I crawled under and gave the d-shaft a good grab a hold and shake test and didn't really feel any movement, buy I went ahead and ordered bushing and seal anyway.
weber 551-38
nutered and juiced
Ramsey Pat. 9500
(5)33x12.50x15 wildcats
eagle alloys 058
Missouri Offraod Outfitters over the top axle truss
M.O.O. rock bruiser diff cover
bushwacker cut-out flairs
shrockworks rock sliders
sorry no pics of the Schrocks & Bushies yet(but soon)

personal garb.
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/]http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/[/URL]
Jeepfan Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Be sure to clean up the slip yoke with emery cloth to where it is completely smooth before you install the new parts. Any debris or corrosion on the slip yoke will quickly hamper the seal when the suspension compresses and the yoke slides past your new seal. Again, even with a good seal, and good slip yoke mating surface, you will always have some minimal "sling" leakage, but it should not cause any drops or puddles under your rig due to fluid loss.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.