Rear main seal removal trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear main seal removal trouble

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
phoric

Rear main seal removal trouble

Hello, I have a 92 YJ with the 4.0L and am doing the rear main seal replacement. I got the oil pan and bearing cap removed no problem, but the upper part of the seal won't budge at all. I've tried tapping on it for 30 minutes with a center punch and a small screwdriver and it's not happening... The only thing it's doing is ruining the end of the seal and not moving a bit. I've also tried slightly turning the harmonic balancer/crankshaft to see if that would help. Any tips of getting this thing out?

phoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes on the real tough one's it helps to loosen all the main caps to let the crank drop a little.
Don't remove them just loosen them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoric
Hello, I have a 92 YJ with the 4.0L and am doing the rear main seal replacement. I got the oil pan and bearing cap removed no problem, but the upper part of the seal won't budge at all. I've tried tapping on it for 30 minutes with a center punch and a small screwdriver and it's not happening... The only thing it's doing is ruining the end of the seal and not moving a bit. I've also tried slightly turning the harmonic balancer/crankshaft to see if that would help. Any tips of getting this thing out?
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Be sure you use a BRASS punch and nothing steel.
This will prevent you from accidentally scatching the seal cavity.
I use the long brass rod from a toilet tank ball float for my "punch"
Also if you use a brass punch you can whack it a bit hatder with the hammer
and not be worried about damaging the block.
The seals sometime "hang tough" but once it starts to move they generall slip out fairly easily.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
phoric

Ok thanks, I got all the main bearing cap bolts loosened up, do I need to do something to make the crankshaft drop or should simply loosening the bolts do the job? Doesn't seem to have any effect yet. Tried tapping on it some more and using applied pressure, yet, nada... Guess I'll just keep tapping away?
Unread 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if it still won't come out then it might help to grind or modify your punch so that is an exact fit for the shape of the seal where you are hitting it. That will apply maximum pressure to start it moving.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
phoric

The brass punch I have actually fits it pretty well.. Right now I am trying to use my bottle jack to push up on the punch and the seal.. I can't believe this, it still won't budge when using a 12-ton jack... Whats next? Remove the entire crackshaft? Lol. this can't be right. If I hadn't already dented up one end of the seal I'd just put it all back together and pray it doesn't leak.
Unread 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The seal has a steel wire inside, are you hitting the steel part or just the rubber.
If you can get a small screw driver between the seal and the cap try to bend it a little and that should break it free.
BTW the crank will drop down by it self.
I have had the same problem a number of times and with a little patience you will get it out.
Be thankful it's not a rope seal as they are a PITA to install.
Quote:
The brass punch I have actually fits it pretty well.. Right now I am trying to use my bottle jack to push up on the punch and the seal.. I can't believe this, it still won't budge when using a 12-ton jack... Whats next? Remove the entire crackshaft? Lol. this can't be right. If I hadn't already dented up one end of the seal I'd just put it all back together and pray it doesn't leak.
Unread 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
phoric

Yeah I see the steel portion of the seal, I'm hitting the punch on that. It's actually wearing down the tip of my punch. Not sure what you mean by "between the seal and the cap".. ? What do you mean by the cap, the steel wire inside the seal?
Unread 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry about that I meant between the seal and block where the seal fits in the groove.
Hve you tried tapping it from the other side?
Quote:
Yeah I see the steel portion of the seal, I'm hitting the punch on that. It's actually wearing down the tip of my punch. Not sure what you mean by "between the seal and the cap".. ? What do you mean by the cap, the steel wire inside the seal?
Unread 02-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
phoric

Yup both sides, since 8am this morning. On one side the seal has been slightly crushed from the tapping. I'm about ready to just give up and deal with the leak or just replace the engine instead, lol. But I'll see if I can bend it somehow...

I thought about heating that whole area up with a hair dryer but then that would make everything expand...
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
bigh20rnr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just did my rear main seal a couple hours ago and it was a PITA! One of the oil pan bolts broke in the block (of course not one thats easy to reach either!) Once all the oil pan bolts were out the pan was still on like it was cemented to the block, took about an hour to get a gasket scraper tool in between the block and pan and around it far enough to finally break it loose. The gasket was so old it was ridiculously hard to scrape off took another hour to do that. Drilled out the old bolt that broke and put the pan back on will hellicoil it some other time. Then sat there with a center punch trying to beat the rear main seal out for a while. Thankfully that only took about 20 minutes and wasn't nearly as bad as yours. Guess the point of the story is I feel your pain! Not as badly as you do but you are not alone brother!

Rick
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
phoric

Yeah I heard the oil pan is usually tough, but mine dropped right off after I removed the last bolt. Unfortunately I think I'm just gonna have to give up on the upper rear seal and just put it all back together... that thing wouldn't come out with a plasma torch or a thermonuclear bomb. It's in there solid. I'm just worried it's gonna leak even more now after I beat on the ends of it for 1 1/2 days trying to push it out. All this for a stupid $10 seal? Ridiculous and depressing.
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
bfzmlp7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the results from a search i done. He also said to hit the crap out of it and not little hits.

I cut a 4" section of brass rod about 1/8" diameter larger than the opening. I then filed the sides down (parallel) for a length of about 1/2". I also rounded the ends of the still-rounded edges to prevent any sharp edges from contacting the crank. Finally, I wrapped the other end in masking tape until it fit snugly into an allen-socket (with the hex-tip removed). I then snapped my 8" long 3/8" extension into the modified allen socket and it only took about 8 licks.
bfzmlp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if you haven't got it out yet any chance of getting a good pic of it and posting it...I don't know maybe there's something we could figure out by looking at it. Other than that I think bfzmlp's advice is on the right track - more firepower.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think you probably really need to get the upper seal out, now. I'd guess it's going to leak like a mofo. I'm with the "more power" vote.
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.