Rear main seal/ Oil pan gasket - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear main seal/ Oil pan gasket

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's a long way from the rear main cap to the transmission input bearing, and the trans shaft is slender. Pretty easy to get a little flex out of that. Just because you haven't found it necessary, doesn't mean it can't help.

bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
It's a long way from the rear main cap to the transmission input bearing, and the trans shaft is slender. Pretty easy to get a little flex out of that. Just because you haven't found it necessary, doesn't mean it can't help.
Even if the crank does hang down a few thousandths, the seal does not grab the crank (the crank turns, the seal doesn't). The seal grabs the block and that is the connection you break as you punch the seal around to remove it.

No offense, but trying to get the crank to hang down in the way described sounds to me like drivers who tap their brakes in the middle of a turn, but do not change the speed of the vehicle at all. The brake tap is for their head, not anything else since the vehicle speed is unchanged.

Of course, if the crank is out it is crazy easy to get the seal out.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

plym49 -

I understand the skepticism. However, the crankshaft does put pressure on the seal. Loosening the bearing caps for even a few millimeters of droop will relieve this additional pressure and make it easier to break the seal loose from the groove and extract it. I tested this back and forth myself when the seal had broken loose, just to make sure what I was experiencing wasn't just in my head. Wanted to be sure I didn't fool myself in to thinking it actually worked like I expected it would, when all I may have done was "loosen the jar lid without realizing it".

After I loosened the caps enough, I was able to finally break the seal free, and with much less force than I was trying before. Thought "Hmm... might be in my head" (along the lines of your suspicions). So I tightened the caps back up to spec - now the seal was in there tight again and only the metal core would budge when I tried to drive the seal. Hmmm... Loosened the caps again and the seal was easily driven again. Loosening the caps had a direct effect on the pressure placed on the seal, and the friction the seal experienced in the groove. It can make a difference in ease of extraction of the old seal.

Is it necessary to loosen the other caps to replace the RMS? Certainly not, or it would be part of standard procedure. But it can make it easier all for the cost of turning a few more bolts. And considering all the freakin bolts on the oil pan, what's a few more bolts?

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's clear to me why it would help. Having said that, there is always some risk involved when you disturb well run-in bearing caps. Try doing it the simple way first.
bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i would think it would help more when installing the new seal. from what i have read getting the new seal in is sometimes not easy and easily damaged. to get the old one out i would get a piece of PVC pipe the same or close diameter of the seal and cut a thin slice off then cut the thin slice in half and use that to push out the old seal until you can get on it and pull it out the rest of the way.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #21
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
plym49 -

I understand the skepticism. However, the crankshaft does put pressure on the seal. Loosening the bearing caps for even a few millimeters of droop will relieve this additional pressure and make it easier to break the seal loose from the groove and extract it. I tested this back and forth myself when the seal had broken loose, just to make sure what I was experiencing wasn't just in my head. Wanted to be sure I didn't fool myself in to thinking it actually worked like I expected it would, when all I may have done was "loosen the jar lid without realizing it".

After I loosened the caps enough, I was able to finally break the seal free, and with much less force than I was trying before. Thought "Hmm... might be in my head" (along the lines of your suspicions). So I tightened the caps back up to spec - now the seal was in there tight again and only the metal core would budge when I tried to drive the seal. Hmmm... Loosened the caps again and the seal was easily driven again. Loosening the caps had a direct effect on the pressure placed on the seal, and the friction the seal experienced in the groove. It can make a difference in ease of extraction of the old seal.

Is it necessary to loosen the other caps to replace the RMS? Certainly not, or it would be part of standard procedure. But it can make it easier all for the cost of turning a few more bolts. And considering all the freakin bolts on the oil pan, what's a few more bolts?

There is no doubt that this works, exspecially when putting new one in. I have only had to loosen the cap closest to the rms though!
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ended up having a local shop handle the rear main seal as well as the seal where the transmission fluid was dripping. Doubt we could have done the transmission repair at home, so good decision on our part. Also the shop went over the vacuum lines. Apparently we had a few that were not correct after swapping in the Weber carb.

Now onto looking at putting a lift kit installed.
Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #23
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra21 View Post
Ended up having a local shop handle the rear main seal as well as the seal where the transmission fluid was dripping. Doubt we could have done the transmission repair at home, so good decision on our part. Also the shop went over the vacuum lines. Apparently we had a few that were not correct after swapping in the Weber carb.

Now onto looking at putting a lift kit installed.
That is weird, you only need a few vacuum lines after the nutter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Loosescrew79
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great info on here. I just purchased a 91 YJ with an SOA lift and a leaky RMS. I am going to tackle this issue next weekend. I have plenty of room underneath and hope it goes smoothly.
Loosescrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.