Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Main Seal

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:48 AM   #1
89JEEPNYC

Rear Main Seal

Hey my rear main seal is leaking really bad as a matter of fact on my 89Sahara4.2 . Has anyone out there done one? Hard, easy whats the deal. Any help would be great thanks

89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2002, 11:32 AM   #2
bighair

are you talking about your rear outpu shaft seal.. on yuor rear differential?? if so. no it's not a hard thing to replace..

I just did mine about 3 wks ago.. just make sure you have a 1/2 inch torque wrench.. and an impact wrench(important) otherwise, it'll be very hard to remove the lock nut.. it's usually Jammed in good.. hehe. once the lock nut is off. pull the yolk out.. pop the seal out clean everything thoroughly, then replace the seal with the new one.. and put your yolk back in screw the locknut and tighter it to the torque specs in a Jeep manual.. I can't remember of the top of my head what it was.

Also, while your there, check your yolk.. once the yolk is off, check and see if it's smooth or it has small lines cut into it.
this could also be the problem.

sometimes the seal cuts small grooves into your yolk which can also cause the leak..

hope it helps
Unread 03-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
89JEEPNYC

I have to do that seal as well . I noticed a little wetness around that seal.
But I meant the Rear Main Seal on the engine.
Thanks though I needed that other info as well.
89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
bighair

k, np.. i havent done the rear main seal on the engine compartement yet.. sorry..

Good luck..
Unread 03-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Mdwase

I did the rear main on my 89 yj about a year ago and it wasn't too tough. You do have to remove the timing chain cover and oil pan, so you might as well replace the timing chain. The other thing I remember about this repair, is that you can buy a one piece oil pan gasket that is spendy, but is much more reliable than the 2-4 piece felpro. The last thing is you need a small punch to knock out the crustified seal from the block, but be careful not to scratch anything. No need to drop the tranny for this repair if you do it right. Another thing I did was take a wire tool on a hand grinder and did the oil pan leftover gasket and crap on the outside of the oil pan and painted oil pan a light color to see if you have any oil leaks in the future. If you have any other question, contact me. Good luck.
Mdwase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.