Rear lunchbox locker for LA driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear lunchbox locker for LA driving

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
zippoguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rear lunchbox locker for LA driving

Hi all,

I have a 93, 4.0, Auto YJ with 4" lift (no body lift),3.07 gears, running on 32" tires, which will soon be changed to 33" - when they wear out. I was looking into regearing it to 4.56, but then I found someone parting out their 91 2.5L YJ and purchased his front and rear ends with 4.56 (D30/35), pretty clean and good price, so I think, $750 for front, rear ends, extra complete grill with lights, bikini top, tuffy hood box, and a few more misc items. The rear has Motive Gear and the front Yukon with a LokRite lunchbox locker. I am also having a PosiLok type situation to the front.

I live in Los Angeles, mostly daily driver will occasionally take it off roading and since we don't get snow here, once in a while in the winder will take it to the snow in the mountains and lots of freeways. There are lots of go and stop situations in LA and we have a bunch of curvy paved canyons. I have never owned or used a locker before. I have read alot of mixed reviews on having one in, but couldn't find a discussion about my specifics.

My question is, how bad or good is it to leave the locker in since I already have it or should I just have it taken out. When I do take it off roading here and there, I want it to be able to do what it's supposed to.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

zippoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Skip the posilock and the rear locker. Try it locked in the front first. Don't spend another dime on the Dana 35 other than the regeared versions which may be too high in price as is.
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
zippoguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Little update, I guess the posilock is out of question for sure, since I realized the front has a TJ two piece shaft already, which is an added plus I guess, the old vacuum thing is disconnected and is just being used as a cover. I understand what you are saying about putting money on the D35, but since I don't do any crazy stuff and this package deal was already re-geared, I just had to get it, the jeep is just too slow with the 3.07. I wouldn't of bought the lunchbox locker for the D35, it just came with it, my mechanic is replacing the ends as we speak, that's the reason I wanted to see if it's better to have him just remove it while he has the jeep for my specific conditions of driving(I am not mechanically inclined at all).
tj-shaft.jpg  
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Find a set of spider gears and install them instead of the lunchbox.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Man 4.56 are gonna be wild with that 3 speed auto! I just went from 3.07 to 4.10 on mine and it was 2900 rpms to do 55 on 31" tires. just put on 35's and it mellowed out a bit.
I cant really add anything that Nick didnt already say, but you wont like a rear lunchbox for a city driver. Unless you enjoy chirpy tires when turning
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
zippoguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that, the guy I bought the ends from is sending me the spider gears, going to have the mechanic put them in while he has the Jeep still. Is there a special way of putting them in once he takes the locker out, is it simple?

What tire size do you recommend putting in so that I could do normal speeds at highway with normal RPMs with the 4.56 as it's a bit low?

Thanks again for the help
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

spider gears are simple enough. Never tore apart the 35, but up front there were thrust washers between the carrier and side gears. there might have been some washers on the smaller spiders too cant remember. this pic pretty much spells it out
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippoguy View Post
Thanks for that, the guy I bought the ends from is sending me the spider gears, going to have the mechanic put them in while he has the Jeep still. Is there a special way of putting them in once he takes the locker out, is it simple?

What tire size do you recommend putting in so that I could do normal speeds at highway with normal RPMs with the 4.56 as it's a bit low?

Thanks again for the help
use the site http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html the gear calculator seems intimidating but it is very helpful in setting you gearing.

I ran your current setup through and your planned setup with 33 inch tires and 4.56 gears with a 3 speed auto and found your highway RPMs will be the following at different highway speeds. Then again if your jumping on the 405 you may not see anything above 25 MPHs.

3.07 gears/32s @ 70 MPH =2256 RPMs
3.07 gears/32s @ 60 MPH =1934 RPMs
3.07 gears/32s @ 50 MPH =1612 RPMs

4.56 gears/33 @ 70 MPH = 3250 RPMs
4.56 gears/33 @ 60 MPH = 2786 RPMs
4.56 gears/33 @ 50 MPH = 2321 RPMs
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
zippoguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

3250...seems high

I'll be lucky @ 15MPH on the 405 at the wrong time of the day!
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your original question , I drove with locker in the rear for almost 20 years and once you get used to the occasional "bang" and clicking never had any problem around town, have a detroit currently and no complaints on street
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run a Spartan in my 4.0/Auto as a daily driver but I work from home so my commute is short
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Kind of off topic, I know the guy that made and owns that grimm jeeper site In fact here is a pic I took of his white jk lmao look at the licence plate
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
To answer your original question , I drove with locker in the rear for almost 20 years and once you get used to the occasional "bang" and clicking never had any problem around town, have a detroit currently and no complaints on street
Talk to AZDevilYJ too. He put a lunchbox in the rear of his and DDs it. I talked to him at length on the subject when we were down in Moab and he seems ok with it. Although he lives in AZ where snow isn't an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Kind of off topic, I know the guy that made and owns that grimm jeeper site In fact here is a pic I took of his white jk lmao look at the licence plate
I use that guys site almost daily! I want to buy that man a dinner and beer for being such a huge help to countless jeepers. At least shake his hand and say "thanks."

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a lunchbox locker in my rear axles for years even when it was a daily driver. You get use to driving it and you change your habits. If I had the money I would put a selectable in mine.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Locking a D35 is a recipe for for disaster. Since you have a rear and a second one I stongly suggest selling both and getting the 8.8 with a LSD. It makes way more sense. By the time you get done paying for the locker and installing you will have more then 1/2 the cost of the 8.8 with a LSD. Off set that by what you can get by selling the 2 D35's I think you will be better off. My .02. I have a 8.8 I am planning on dropping in mine as soon as I get all the parts together.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.