Rear Locker for YJ w/3.07 rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Locker for YJ w/3.07 rear

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-28-2001, 12:38 PM   #1
gosling1

Rear Locker for YJ w/3.07 rear

I am looking for some input about a locker for a 3.07 rear. This is my daily driver with some offroading on the weekend. Am I going to have to change my gearing to get a good locker?

chris

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2001, 06:44 PM   #2
RodeoRob

No, you gearing doesn't really limit locker choice at all. If you're looking to go as cheap as possible, can't be the Powertrax Lockrights, but they can be a little harsh on the road. Powertrax No-Slip adds more street friendly features but tags about $100 on the price. Both of these can be installed by the average weekend mechanic.

On the expensive side you can go with a selectable locker like and ARB or an OX. These are great because you can turn them on and off, and therefor be uneffected on the street. If you wanna spend the money, they're worth it. But you'll also have to get a shop to install em, as resetting the gears is required.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2001, 08:41 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like the rice burner dude says, no ya don't "have to" change gears. But if you select a locker like the Detroit, ARB or Ox, you're gonna have to pay to have the gears setup anyway, so ya might as well upgrade is usually the consensus. And really, I had them 3.07s once too. Going to 4.10s felt like I had finally released the parking break.

If you're not planning on doing gears for awhile, then ya should probably do a lunchbox style locker, realizing it won't last forever. I wouldn't do the full carrier style locker if you're not doing gears yet because when you do change the gears, your locker for the 3.07s won't work with the deeper gearset and you'll be buying another locker.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2001, 08:54 AM   #4
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
Like the rice burner dude says,
LOL

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2001, 06:09 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've never referred to you by your nickname since you been here. And been getting progressively worse. 'Bout damn time you acknowledge one.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2001, 09:42 PM   #6
powjunkie

Once again Osburn speaks the good word. Best to do the gear and locker mod at the same time. I was recently in your shoes, trying to decide which locker to go with for the daily driver. I also had the 3.07's. Anyway, since I someday plan to do an axle swap, I opted to not go with the golden ARB's. I'm very happy with my 4.10's and a Detroit Truetrach in the rear. I left the front open after several weeks of contemplation. Someday, when I have another ride to work, I'll be fully locked.
Unread 10-29-2001, 09:55 PM   #7
evilpsych

yeah.. go 4.10's when you do the locker(s).. it's what i have planned when i do an ARB setup..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.