• 1 Post By DirtKar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Jeep43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rear light wiring

Name:  image-3182508436.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  357.1 KB I wired this light as my back up light but I would like to use it as a work light or convenience light. Any idea how I could wire a switch to it so I don't have to leave the ignition open with the shifter in reverse? Maybe a diode wired inline so I don't get any power going back to the reverse light switch on the transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose you could use a diode, but I don't think it's necessary, there's nothing to backfeed really.

I'd simply run the light off of your reverse switch and then tap a secondary switched power source to the same line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This ^^^^

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013

post #4 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 05:56 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I suppose you could use a diode, but I don't think it's necessary, there's nothing to backfeed really.

I'd simply run the light off of your reverse switch and then tap a secondary switched power source to the same line.
Ya got me thinking about this... it would be fine unless he somehow is using that light and activates the reverse at the same time. At that point he's bucking power and it's going to blow both circuits.

I guess if he brought both sides of the reverse switch up to a toggle that would work, as long as a second circuit is not introduced. Not sure if that's what you meant by secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Ya got me thinking about this... it would be fine unless he somehow is using that light and activates the reverse at the same time. At that point he's bucking power and it's going to blow both circuits.
Nah, I've wired mine the same way on the jeep and on my fullsize... no issues

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #6 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Jeep43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just gonna wire in a diode. I found an extra one I had from when I wired my existing lights to use when flat towing.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Nah, I've wired mine the same way on the jeep and on my fullsize... no issues
You must have been typing while I was adding to my post.
NHfireLJ likes this.

Quote:

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The voltage doesn't add to itself from multiple sources, the most you can get to the light is 12v. So, even if the switch is on and you shift to reverse you still can't get more than 12v.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Rear lighting

Here is what I have as a set up, lights in bumper work off switch or when I put in reverse; Simple install;
Attached Images

post #10 of 13 Old 09-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Simple spdt (single pole double throw) switch On-Off-On. Left from Back up light switch, Center to the light and Right from a constant power source. One position is backup, center is off and the other powers it up as a work light.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 13 Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The voltage doesn't add to itself from multiple sources, the most you can get to the light is 12v. So, even if the switch is on and you shift to reverse you still can't get more than 12v.
This is true, you wouldn't get more than 12v but... two different 12v sources (circuits) contacting each other won't play nice.

Quote:

post #12 of 13 Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
This is true, you wouldn't get more than 12v but... two different 12v sources (circuits) contacting each other won't play nice.
Why? They both come from the same battery through a switch to the same return ground path. If both are on, the only thing happening is you have effectively increased the wire size.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #13 of 13 Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Why? They both come from the same battery through a switch to the same return ground path. If both are on, the only thing happening is you have effectively increased the wire size.
I'm thinking of it like a water spigot, if you have a "Y" fitting at the spigot and run two hoses off of it, then "Y" the two back together later into one hose you're getting the same output whether one or both sides of the first "Y" are on.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.