Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rear hi lift mount

906 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  redrubi03 
#1 ·
im looking for something like the rugged ridge mount that will mount to the holes for the tailgate. i converted to a flip down tailgate rather than a swing out and have stickers covering the holes now so i figured why not make use of them? i searched earlier and couldnt find much so im hoping you guys have seen something like this or have some ideas!

#3 ·
I'd suggest that you get some steel and fab up your own. It's got to mount to multiple nutserts on the tailgate and be insulated with rubber just to survive the shock of dropping the tailgate. I'm thinking a plate that spans the top of the tire carrier mounting holes with two 1/2" pins protruding from the steel plate with small rings of rubber sandwiched inside and outside and finished with a cotter pin-like snap ring that will hold the weight when the entire thing is inverted.

Anyone following?

#4 ·
just so we are clear im trying to mount it on the tub where the old swing out hinges were and not on my tailgate. i was going to buy like an 18" tall 1/8" thick piece of steel as a backing plate for the inside of the tub to disperse the load and get some big thick L brackets to mount on the outside as a base plate for the jack? then id get some sort of yoke to mount through the top holes and keep the jack in place? i know all this would be at least $50 though so i thought if someone made one for a decent price i could save some time.

#5 ·
Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood which way you were talking about mounting it. You could go about it this way: Get a piece of angle iron for the base of the jack to sit in, drill a hole in the iron and mount it on the bottom, then take a quick fist clamp (turn it sideways) and "lock" the jack in that way. It would basically give you what you want and would cost way less than $50.

#6 ·
idk if those quick fists will hold the weight especially if its being jostled around on the trail. i have the big 60" jack

#8 ·
Have you actually gone to their website and looked at them? Unless your playing Dukes of Hazard with your jeep, it'll hold. They have not one, but two different clamps that will support up to 50lbs of weight (according to hi lift, the 60" jack weighs in around 35lbs). The clamp's break strength is around 150lbs.

Worse case scenario is that you get it, mount it, and it doesn't work on the trail. Total cost of your project: around $20 (and thats if you pay a lot for the angle iron...which I doubt you will). The clamp cost $9 from their site, you may be able to find it cheaper.

If $20 for an experimental mount for your hi lift is to rich for your blood, good luck finding something cheaper, especially if its made by a company somewhere. :nuts:

#9 ·
$20 bucks isnt too much as i was expecting to pay $50 to fab one myslef or $80 to buy one that some manufacturer sells.

and no i dont have a swing out i have the poison spider flip down but the old style where the wheel is bolted in instead of strapped in. thats why my tailgate is a flip down and why i have holes where my old swing out tailgate hinges used to be. i bought angle iron so im definitely going that route cuz apparently nobody makes one like the rugged ridge unit for the new JK's that mounts to the hinges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.