Rear end Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear end Swap

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rear end Swap

I found a Ford 8.8 rear end that I want to but on my '87 wrangler. My question is this. When getting a lift kit for the jeep do I need to get anything different? Are the springs the same? The u-bolts? etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
I found a Ford 8.8 rear end that I want to but on my '87 wrangler. My question is this. When getting a lift kit for the jeep do I need to get anything different? Are the springs the same? The u-bolts? etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.
You have to move the spring perches ont he 8.8 so that it is the same as the D35. Then you can use the same springs. As it sits though the 8.8's perches are a slightly different width than the D35.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The U bolts are also different because the axle tubes are much larger on the 8.8. Any driveline shop can get/make them for you.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I knew spring perches where different. I am getting the rear end kit from M.O.R.E. So if I weld the new spring perches and shock mounts on the only thing different for the lift kit would be the U-bolts?
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
I knew spring perches where different. I am getting the rear end kit from M.O.R.E. So if I weld the new spring perches and shock mounts on the only thing different for the lift kit would be the U-bolts?
Which IIRC are 3" instead of 2 9/16".

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The rear end has disc brakes so how do I deal with that? Do I need a new master cylinder?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #562[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing that is an issue is the e-brake...you either have to fab a bracket for it or I think that there is an aftermarket kit for it.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
klrstew
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of the 8.8 swap right now myself. Here are a few resources I am using for my research. Hope it helps.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/

http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/...8/ford8_8.html

You will find most of your answers here. GL. I'll see you on the other side, 8.8 side that is.........lol

P.S. ECGS will have everything you need on this page.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-130...-tjyjxjzj.html
klrstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used the 8.8 e-brake lines. You can cut them to the 35 lengths and use cable stops to make them work. Google Ford 8.8 ebrake in yj and its one of the first links. It's a jeepforum link. Need hose barbs and that's it.

You don't need to do anything new to the hard brake lines. Use the 35's T for the brake lines on the 8.8. Unscrew the vent tube bolt thing from the 35 and it'll screw into the 8.8 vent tube hole along with the brake line T from the 35. I got the kit from nowhere2jeep. Worked great

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.