Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rear end noise

702 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Wif 
#1 ·
Help! I've had this jeep a week and I took it for a drive on the highway and when I get back the left rear tire is acting like it wants to seize up. It seemed to only do it on the left side when turning the vehicle. I could see the left rear tire actually stutter as it turned. It stopped doing this after it had been parked and cooled down. Please help! I think it might be a bearing but why would it only do it when I turn the wheel? I have checked the differential oil. Thank you. Garin3

It is a 90 yj with a 4.2l 6 cyl. 31" tires and stock suspension :confused:

#2 ·
It doesnt have a locker in it , does it?

#3 ·
I don't think so. not sure what that would look like.

#4 ·
A locker will kind of "chirp" the rear tires when turning. I would think if a bearing was that toasted it would also be making some oil leak out of the end of the axle as well from ruining the seal. You might want to take the differential cover off and have a look. Maybe you could call the guy you bought it from and see if they put a locker in it as well?

#5 ·
It doesn't chirp the tires while turning and this problem seems to be related to how hot the back end gets after driving it at highway speeds.

#7 ·
Man thats weird. Usually when a bearing goes it GOES. If it was getting hot enought to seize up like that it wouldnt last long either. no weird noises clunking etc? If its only doing it when you turn it has to be something in the carrier I would think, like spider gears etc. Maybe it has a limited slip and it is messed up too. Sorry I'm not much help but I want to know what it is too!

#8 ·
update! I found out that my right rear tire was losing air and causing the rear axle to grind. A buddy of mine said that if you have a flat or off size tire on the back this will cause the back to grind due to the axles wanting to spin at different speeds. I'm going to change the diff. oil and get that tire patched. thanks

#10 ·
I do have a LSD but what is the friction modifier.

#11 ·
The clutch pack in the LSD needs a small amount of slipage .. the friction modifier allows this. Changing diff oil in an LSD diff without it will make the clutch pack bind up .. meaning it will not allow the two wheels to rotate at slightly different spedds .. under conditions like you described (one wheel turning aster that the other due to one being flat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.